Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Meet - Aug. 2015

L8-Nite

It's strange weather for sure Pat.  The doom and gloom of horrendous weather predicted has not materialized here in my neck of the woods, there has only been a light rain.  I think it's always going to be a roll of the dice where the weather service is concerned, but I try to have a positive outlook.  

Edit: Keep the faith.   :wink:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conditions haven't improved so I'm going to make it an early call...... Sorry folks, tonight's observing meet is a "NO - GO ".

Saturday looks " very good " for clear skies throughout the night, so check this thread tomorrow in the afternoon about 3:00 pm for the words we all want to hear.  

That looks nice Ken, I was thinking about that a while back but as a permanent post in the garden instead of tripod legs. I would have thought there would be a market for it, all it would need really is a steel plate with a gap underneath to tighten it up. could even double as a sundial when not in use lol

What time would you be meeting/setting up, if im free I wouldnt mind watching how you set up and pick your brains

If tonight is a go, which I'm quite confident about at the moment, I'll be at the site around 9:30 pm ( 21:30 ), and plan to stay until about 3:00 am if the conditions hold as predicted. As for picking brains, well.......   :dontknow:

:grin:

Im more into photography than the observing but like it all if im honest. Trouble is Im one of those want to do it all want to do it now lol. I was thinking of setting up the star adventurer and let it click away (widefield). At the same time set up my HEQ and either stick on my 150 and take some shots using my back up camera. That way if im setting it up wrong or doing something wrong I can be told about it rather than carry on down the wrong road

Did anyone go last night.  It didn't clear until late here and I hadn't seen any email on it so assumed it was off.  

Did get some nice shots of the ring nebula at about 2:00am though.  Need to spend sometime on the computer, processing them.

Forecast for tonight doesn't look too bad up until 1:00am so will there be anyone there?

Hi Mr Frodo,

Mike posted at 3:26pm yesterday about last nights meeting, so you have to keep a sharp watch on the Forum to spot it as sometimes it gets lost amongst other postings.

Must get Mike to use Big Scrip's ;).

Its looking OK for tonight and am sure Mike will Post soon to let us know if it is on or not.

Pat

Cloud predictions vary slightly with the forecasters, however, "Clear Outside" shows the skies to be 100% clear throughout the darkest hours. All things considered, I think we have very good chance with the weather being cooperative.

Tonight's Observing Meet is a.......  " GO "   :smile:   

Hope to see you all there, Dress Warm !

Archived