Narrowband

Observing Meet - Aug. 2015

L8-Nite

To give us all a better chance for success this season, I would like to propose that we have two observing weekends scheduled for each month instead of one; and as before, two consecutive dates for each weekend which will give us a second opportunity if the weather is uncooperative on the first night. Friday and Saturdays seem to be best to provide dark sky observing closest to the New Moon, and also enable those who have work commitments during the week to be able to attend. If you have not attended one of the informal observing sessions before, the Blaenavon site is located next to the radio towers north east of town, at the paved " Fox Hunter " car park.

The coordinates are....... 51*  47'  25.74" N  by  3*  4'  10.74" W

August Schedule:

Fri. 14th  or  Sat. 15th ( and / or the following week ) 

Fri. 21st  or  Sat. 22nd

[ also to be posted in a future thread ]

September Schedule:

Fri. 11th  or  Sat. 12th ( and / or the following week ) 

Fri. 18th  or  Sat. 19th

October Schedule: " South Wales Star Party "

Oct. 12th - 17th  ( The main nights are the 15th, 16th, & 17th ) 

Please contact Freff for details.

Check the posted monthly thread for updates, and also on the day, in the afternoon, to see if the observing session is a GO or a No-Go based on the latest weather forecasts.

Cheers, and clear skies to us all !  :smile:

Edit:  Comments welcome.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi and welcome

Yes come along to the meet , keep an eye on the thread for a " GO or NO GO" in the afternoon , its very informal just turn up !!!

the season is still young ( not very dark ) but nice to get out and have a go ,

Lenny

Hi,

I am new to the forum and new to stargazing in general. Could I come along to the next meet in Blaenavon? I live in Newport.

Thanks,

William

Hello William,  

First of all, let me say welcome to Stargazers Lounge and the South Wales Group, and that you would be more than welcome to attend. :smiley:

The observing sessions are informal, and there's a comfortable atmosphere at the car park.. You are likely to see a variety of equipment, and meet observers with varying interests and skill levels. If possible, we try to get to the site before dusk so there is ample time to set up rather than fumbling around in the dark, this also allows for some chat time as the scopes acclimate and darkness approaches.  Look forward to meeting you, and hope you find observing with us an enjoyable experience. 

Edit: As Lenny said, it's early in the season, but we can expect several hours of dark skies, and weather permitting, that's worth the drive.

yes you can use sat nav use the  coordinates as above and look for the radio mast

Note for the new members         " ITS COLD on top of the Blorenge even in summer "        its 2 coats colder up there ,  Dress up in worm clothes and a hat !!  

ask Paul he found out the hard way !!!!

Lenny

Pat tells me these coordinates work for google maps.......  51.790573  ,  -3.069705

For those like me who still use a conventional paper map , the access road to the site is at the top of the hill off the B4248 road about 1 kilometre north of the intersection of the B4248 and B4246. 

yes you can use sat nav use the  coordinates as above and look for the radio mast

Note for the new members         " ITS COLD on top of the Blorenge even in summer "        its 2 coats colder up there ,  Dress up in worm clothes and a hat !!  

ask Paul he found out the hard way !!!!

Lenny

I have worked in some cold places in my time but I can comfortably say I have never been as cold as I was up there that night. And being new and all that, Lenny was showing me his equipment (that sounds so wrong lol) and I all I could think of was what the hell am I doing up here lol. NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN until the next time lol

At the moment, the consensus of my sources for Blaenavon tonight average 100% cloud cover with 85% chance of precipitation, so not looking good to say the least; however, the weather seems to be moving East, so the chance for clearing is still possible. I'll post an update in a couple of hours.

Archived