Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Super Takumar 200 asterism test.

I decided to make a go of fixing the infinity focus issue with my Super Takumar 200mm lens after being disappointed on holiday and then seeing Louise's excellent efforts with her lens.

I managed to move the focus ring and allow those last few mms of travel, so I can now get focus. The image below is a test tonight using 20 x 60secs at F5.6 with no calibration frames. I noticed some coma in the corners and also wondered what processing people use to emphasize asterisms against a big star field?

474f1cbc20f77cbaa19bbb95f325e7e5.1824x0_

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt. Interested as I just bought a Pentax 200mm. What body is the SMC made for? What adapter are you using? Would not focus issues and coma be indicitive of an improper backfocus? Just asking.-Jack

BTW the picture has potential, I'll be excited to try mine which is a 6x7 version.

Using the internal aperture blades as you have done can help the naked-eye visible stars stand out, such as this 35mm shot of Cassiopeia.

15385051124_1461c1a970_b.jpg

...but they are still difficult to spot against the busy background. In this version I've used curves to bring the mid-range down, which helps a bit:

20017431195_c1da487c0d_b.jpg

I like star spikes for this kind of shot as it helps to tie-in the image with what can be seen visually, but I'm going to experiment with using step-down rings as a front aperture mask for closer shots.

The 200mm Takumar is a nice lens but as you say there is a little coma in the corners at f5.6. Have you tried the focussing on a star a third of a way across the frame?

Thanks all. I forgot about the focus on the third way process, I was so ecstatic I managed to get focus at all! I quite like the spikes in these shots as well.

The Takumar lens I have is an M42 screw lens for older Pentax systems. I think this particular lens is around 40+ years old. I am using a low profile M42/EOS adaptor, but it could not quite get infinity focus, so I unscrewed the focus ring and turned it to allow the last couple of mm required, so now I can go through infinity focus.

Steve, that looks much better, I'll give Photoshop a go, as I was trying to get things done in PixInsight.

Thanks all. I forgot about the focus on the third way process, I was so ecstatic I managed to get focus at all! I quite like the spikes in these shots as well.

The Takumar lens I have is an M42 screw lens for older Pentax systems. I think this particular lens is around 40+ years old. I am using a low profile M42/EOS adaptor, but it could not quite get infinity focus, so I unscrewed the focus ring and turned it to allow the last couple of mm required, so now I can go through infinity focus.

Steve, that looks much better, I'll give Photoshop a go, as I was trying to get things done in PixInsight.

Hi Matt

Looks like the same lens as mine - 'vintage'! :D One can always crop a bit to get rid of any edge field curvature... :) Stars can be like trees in a forest can't they, but as Steve did above, emphasizing the coloured ones helps, I think :) I only wish I had darker skies to help pick up the fainter stars. There was talk of a partial street lighting plan for here in Glasgow but I've not noticed any changes yet. I live in hope!

Louise

The coat hanger!

I'll never forget how I discovered it with my binoculars. The next day, when I tried to find it again, I stumbled upon the Dumbbell nebula. I was twelve. I've been hooked on astronomy ever since.

Thank you Matt, for the beautiful images and stirring up that memory. 

They are nice lenses, the Super-Takumars are late 60s vintage while the SMC Takumars are early-to-mid 70s I believe. I got this on the Orion Nebula using a 200mm SMC.

Archived