Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally Tamed Orion's Core

More reprocessing this afternoon, with the help of this tutorial I've finally managed to fix the blown out core in my image of the Orion Nebula.

20015608702_21fc9f159f_b.jpg

(Taken with a modded Canon 1100D fitted with a 200mm SMC Takumar lens at f5.6. 35x75 second subs, about 40 minutes total exposure time. Unguided, no flats or darks applied, just 30 dark bias.)

I'm really pleased with this, especially as the 1970s vintage lens cost me £22 off eBay. I like the way it shows the nebula embedded in the much larger dust lane.

Any feedback would be welcome. I think the star spikes are a little distracting in this image, I've bought a 58mm to 37mm step-down ring to try as a front aperture mask. There is also a little vignetting on the left of the image, the right hand side has been cropped. With careful framing I might have been able to fit in the horsehead and flame too.

Archived