NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Lunt 60 owner looking for advice

Snaxmuppet

I get my new Lunt 60 on Wednesday and as I have never used a solar scope before I wondered if you might have some advice for a beginner on setting up and observing. It has a B1200 BF and it is has the pressure tuning. I will be using a AZ-EQ5GT mount with a solar tracking speed.

How would I polar align the mount so I can use the tracking?

Nice scope, you'll enjoy it I'm sure.

If you are observing not imaging, why not use the mount in AZ mode? Much easier to align and the eyepiece stays in a more comfortable position.

Nice scope, you'll enjoy it I'm sure.

If you are observing not imaging, why not use the mount in AZ mode? Much easier to align and the eyepiece stays in a more comfortable position.

Thanks. Yes, I thought that was the better option. In fact, in part, that is why I got the AZ-EQ5GT... so I could use it in AZ mode for visual. I will of course be in EQ mode when imaging :) Still not sure I I might align it. I might just use manual tracking at first using the handset.

Thanks. Yes, I thought that was the better option. In fact, in part, that is why I got the AZ-EQ5GT... so I could use it in AZ mode for visual. I will of course be in EQ mode when imaging :) Still not sure I I might align it. I might just use manual tracking at first using the handset.

You can align it in a home position ie tripod levelled, scope pointing north and also levelled. This should get you close enough to find the sun, then make sure you select solar tracking. I use an AZEQ6 and purely do visual so only ever use it in AZ mode.

I use mine on a SW Star Traveller and just plonk it down and aim it north with a compass, good enough to keep the Sun centred for hours in solar tracking mode, once you've found it that is :) worth getting a Sol Searcher.

Dave

Congrats on the new scope. For visual altaz is fine unless you try to go too high a mag, but then image brightness suffers so no probs there.

A compass comes in handy for eq mode, set your polar axis to your latititude, point it north and you should be ok for imaging with only the occassional tweak. Solar imaging isnt like dso imaging where pa is more critical, the sun is a big target and imaging runs are short by comparison

I found any GoTo is great at tracking the sun once you have it in the eyepiece :smiley: If you are thinking of getting an eyepiece to compliment the Lunt, I found the 9mm Vixen SLV by far the best for both surface detail and prominence brightness.

There are two things you can do to really improve your views.  The first is to use a black cloth over your head when observing.  The improvement in the image due to keeping the light out and improving the contrast will be enormous,  Secondly, if you use a binoviewer for visual observing this also has a great affect, the whole image will be far more distinct, you will see more detail and the Sun will appear to be much more 3D-like.  The colour of the Sun will also appear to be a more vibrant red colour than when using a single eyepiece.

Archived