Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Here comes the sun

Highburymark

After months of stalking the solar forum and soaking up all your knowledge and advice, my new Lunt 50 arrives on Monday from FLO (sooner than expected - thanks to flo), so look forward to experiencing for myself some of the amazing sights and images you've been temptingly documenting here on SGL. In the end I've gone for the mini giro mount (thanks for the suggestion Michael) and am just working out which photo tripod to buy this weekend - probably a Manfrotto 190 go - and that should be enough to keep me away from all astronomy retailers for at least a couple of years.......

Congrats Mark you will love the new scope. I eventually went for the 60 in April and I must say the lunt is mow my most used scope. The views are tremendous and solar ha observing is dynamic, you can see things happening in realtime

Congrats Mark you will love the new scope. I eventually went for the 60 in April and I must say the lunt is mow my most used scope. The views are tremendous and solar ha observing is dynamic, you can see things happening in realtime

Thanks Phil - can't wait to get going

Thinking of joining the bright side. Let us know how you get on.

I can feel you hovering, laudropb (sorry, no name in sig). I see you watching. I sense you in the wings. I'd put a small wager on you becoming a seeker of the light, sooner or later.

Mark, you're gonna love it. Constantly changing. Constantly fascinating. It's too late to tell you to beware - but it's addictive!

Just a thought can't you just use your evolution mount? I use my nexstar 4 mount with it ,any way what ever your requirements for a stand you will really enjoy the ls50 so handy and portable with great whole sun views.

Congratulations on the purchase Mark, you are sure going to love the Lunt :grin:

I find having the option to view both dark and light really helps take away some of the frustrations associated with our poor weather.

I am sure you will be able to use your evolution mount as suggested above.

One question to you, does the Evolution mount allow you to move the scope without the use of power, IE like the Celestron CPC fork mounts ?

Thinking of joining the bright side. Let us know how you get on.

A decision you should make within the next 5 minutes  :grin: The longer you leave it the poorer your eyesight gets.

You cannot beat being able to see our very own star in your back garden with such great detail. I often imagine what it would be like to see the likes of Betelgeuse, Arcturus or Capella with the same detail, wouldn't it be great to wake up to to them monsters from a close but safe distance also :shocked:

Just a thought can't you just use your evolution mount? I use my nexstar 4 mount with it ,any way what ever your requirements for a stand you will really enjoy the ls50 so handy and portable with great whole sun views.

Yes - could use the Evo mount Hyperion but decided against it as I wanted a transportable set up - also I was a bit concerned about leaving the Evo mount in the sun for lengthy sessions as it has the built in battery.

quote name="Pig" post="2704577" timestamp="1437202492"]Congratulations on the purchase Mark, you are sure going to love the Lunt :grin:

One question to you, does the Evolution mount allow you to move the scope without the use of power, IE like the Celestron CPC fork mounts ?

Thank you Pig. Yes the Evo mount can be manipulated without power. If and when Celestron start offering the mount on its own, I'm sure it will be a big seller - it's a fantastic all-purpose telescope mount.

I have the Lunt 50 with the B/600I slap it on the CG-4 (with RA drive motor) and a ZWO ASI120MM camera and leave set up all day.  With a long USB cable, I can keep the laptop inside the gazebo beside the pool.  Nothing beats a relaxing view of old Sol.

I have the Lunt 50 with the B/600I slap it on the CG-4 (with RA drive motor) and a ZWO ASI120MM camera and leave set up all day.  With a long USB cable, I can keep the laptop inside the gazebo beside the pool.  Nothing beats a relaxing view of old Sol.

Nice. And you have an average of 310 sunny days a year to enjoy it, if I remember correctly.

I am going to pull the trigger on Lunt 50 B600 in a couple of weeks when i come back from a week away. Do you get a full disc on your ASI120mm camera and how do you find the tuning ring?

Archived