Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help a neighbor become an amateur astronomer!

ed_turco

I cooked up this idea a few years back and never got it published on my side of The Pond; perhaps my newfound UK buddies can give this idea a crack.  My article is attached.

If anyone likes what I wrote, perhaps I can dig up a few more!

ed_turco

60MM.DOC

I shall soon be running a small Astronomy group for our local Women's institute :)

Gina, I'm considering moving to Devon and changing my name to Jane  :p   That would be a group worth joining, they are in for some masterclasses.

Jim

I shall soon be running a small Astronomy group for our local Women's institute :)

Jam, Jerusalem and the latest Microprocessor programming? :D

(OK, that is the women's guild!) My mother joined a... "Womens 

Group" late in life. Sadly, too late to rebuild her self esteem... :o

But I did think that, with a bit of application and determination.

Just generally musing on the importance of sharing experience

with "the young generation". Those on a tight(er) budget etc.  :)

We have wide ranging ages in our WI with quite an influx of younger members lately :)  There is also a computer group :)

Sorry your mother didn't manage to rebuild her self esteem Chris - that's so sad :(

Jam, Jerusalem and the latest Microprocessor programming? :D

(OK, that is the women's guild!) My mother joined a... "Womens 

Group" late in life. Sadly, too late to rebuild her self esteem... :o

But I did think that, with a bit of application and determination.

Just generally musing on the importance of sharing experience

with "the young generation". Those on a tight(er) budget etc.  :)

I'm just back from doing some diy at my mum's, stud panelling and tiling a wall in a shower room.  When I was growing up I would always see my mum turning her hand to something or other, she came out of the make do and mend generation.  Sadly these day arthritis in her hands and her general age means she is limited to what she can now achieve.  But she was looking at the wall I had fixed and marvelled at how smooth and level it was, reflecting on the 50 or so years she had put up with it being "wonky".  She commented that she could never have done what I had did  - I told her off !  The only difference between me and her was I that I now benefit from the availability of modern materials and of course the internet where knowledge is so readily shared.   I often think it would be the other way about in terms of what she could have achieved or been had she shared the benefit of what we have now.  I credit my mum for my own interests in making things work that ultimately led me into engineering.  Now that I'm in the classroom teaching physics I try my best to make sure that girls in particular do not see themselves in any way excluded from the subject or STEM professions.  In truth, some of our most promising students are girls, the discipline in learning and focus is better.  All credit to the WI and those who support it, its fantastic what they achieve, especially when they campaigning.   Chris, I think you did your mum well by encouraging her along to a group, and you're right about sharing the experience and knowledge.

Jim

I'm just back from doing some diy at my mum's, stud panelling and tiling a wall in a shower room.  When I was growing up I would always see my mum turning her hand to something or other, she came out of the make do and mend generation.  Sadly these day arthritis in her hands and her general age means she is limited to what she can now achieve.  But she was looking at the wall I had fixed and marvelled at how smooth and level it was, reflecting on the 50 or so years she had put up with it being "wonky".  She commented that she could never have done what I had did  - I told her off !  The only difference between me and her was I that I now benefit from the availability of modern materials and of course the internet where knowledge is so readily shared.   I often think it would be the other way about in terms of what she could have achieved or been had she shared the benefit of what we have now.  I credit my mum for my own interests in making things work that ultimately led me into engineering.  Now that I'm in the classroom teaching physics I try my best to make sure that girls in particular do not see themselves in any way excluded from the subject or STEM professions.  In truth, some of our most promising students are girls, the discipline in learning and focus is better.  All credit to the WI and those who support it, its fantastic what they achieve, especially when they campaigning.   Chris, I think you did your mum well by encouraging her along to a group, and you're right about sharing the experience and knowledge.

Jim

I agree with you.  Your mom is special.  I would have become nothing if it weren't for what my mom did for me.  And my mom would point the finger to my ninety-four old grandmother and say that she was the toughest one of them all!

• 2 weeks later...

Keep up the good work and any other articles I am sure will be appreciated, picking up ideas and tips is what this forum is all about.

Dave

I've recently appended two more articles on the DIY page.  Happy reading!

Archived