NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

really confused over which dslr

beamer3.6m

The 450D is a good choice.  The only downside I'm aware of is that Canon have removed support from their drivers for the older DIGIC processors and whilst the 450D is still supported one has to wonder how long that will be the case.  I've downloaded recent copies of all their software for my 450D and tucked them away just in case.

Other than that, the 1100D always seems to have performed well and there are I think a couple of others in the 5x0D and 6x0D range that look as though they should be good.  Gary Honis has done reviews of the noise in exposures on many of the Canon cameras and some are significantly better than others, so it's worth having a look at his web pages.  I'll post a link later if I can -- need to sling some sausages on the barbie now :)

James

The Canon Eos 100D is also a good choice. The small size and low weight is a big plus in my view. It has a digic 5 processor which is the latest but one processor and has a QE of 43%. They can be got brand new body only as a grey import for about £250 or you can buy a new one already astro moded for £340.

So in reality no real difference between them all apart from the swivel screen and movie crop on the 550 and 600d.

Why is canon support an issue. What do we need from canon once we have bought the camera?

Seems strange that so little difference arises in the cameras.

Ok.

New question. Which movie crop mode is better. The 550d or the 600d???

No brainer there.........550D has true movie crop the 600D is an interpolated crop and does'nt come near.

The 60D has true movie crop as well.

The 550D modded is slightly better on Ha than the 60Da, so it's a cheap good choice.

The 550d and 60d are the only two cameras I know that have true 1:1 crop mode there are other subtle features that Canon often omit on the entry level models for example mirror lockup and as allways more money does normally get better noise performance.

Software support is very important for third party programmers e.g. byeos, magic lantern, deep sky stacker etc.

Alan

So in reality no real difference between them all apart from the swivel screen and movie crop on the 550 and 600d.

Why is canon support an issue. What do we need from canon once we have bought the camera?

Seems strange that so little difference arises in the cameras.

The noise levels are quite different between the models, though I'd agree from an astroimaging point of view there's little else to split them other than personal preference.

The support is an issue in the event that new drivers are needed.  Canon have already dropped support for the 350D for example, so unless you have a driver disk it may not be possible to use with APT and BYE on later versions of Windows.  If you're buying a used camera privately they often don't come with driver disks either.  I don't believe Win10 will require new drivers, but if it does then we'll have to see which models Canon continues to support.  Even if new drivers are not required it may be that in future releases of their software Canon drop support for the DIGIC III cameras because they don't want the hassle of maintaining them for discontinued hardware.

If you're not using the camera with a PC to control it then it may well not be an issue at all.

James

Archived