Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

despondancy

I absolutely agree :)

Which reminds me, I need a new bottle of Lagavulin...

After a close friend of mine from Northern England introduced me, I became fond of Caol Ile, instead :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are right, it isn't a good example either..

Erm.....there's no advocacy of outright boozing here, just a couple of simple side-posts about a post-observational pleasure. For some of us :)

However, I apologise for the thread hijack.

*Not* intended...

The advice and support in the thread is what's important here. Nil desperandum, Dave - I'm sure you'll begin to enjoy your stargazing as per the responses given. It's a great interest to pursue, one I hope you will find the magic of :)

I admit I had a good chuckle when observing despondency discussion rapidly turned to drinking. :p 

Another observation about M42 color. I have unprocessed subs which show red, green and blue in M42. From a newt, no CA.

I admit I had a good chuckle when observing despondency discussion rapidly turned to drinking. :p

Another observation about M42 color. I have unprocessed subs which show red, green and blue in M42. From a newt, no CA.

You'll always get colour showing up on a camera chip over a long exposure , but it takes some impressive aperture to see any naked eye.

You'll always get colour showing up on a camera chip over a long exposure , but it takes some impressive aperture to see any naked eye.

I can see color in the Milky way naked eye at times. I see color with my 150/750 GSO and 27mm BST. No not like a camera would see, but it's there if you look.

Can anyone help re-kindle the passion /patience

Dave,

I don't really have much advice to offer but I feel you shouldn't worry about what you're thinking on this particular front, seriously. If you think that astronomy is not working out, that it feels like a chore or getting you down a little, don't do it, but don't go beating yourself up about it. If it's been a clear night, a clear week, month or season and you haven't got out, or you have been out and haven't enjoyed what you have seen, well, so be it;  you don't owe anyone anything in this hobby.

Whatever you decide, don't rush into that decision, especially in these overtly light, often muggy and cloudy days of the summer. You probably have a bit of cash tied up in your gear and the interest may sneak up on you as the months tick by. It sounds like you may have other interests keeping you occupied at the moment which is a great thing, so although I think it would be a bad move to sell your gear right now, it might not be such a bad idea to sit it out for a while and if the interest isn't sparked by autumn time, for example, to downside a little. I mean, astronomy needn't be expensive; a set of binoculars, or plossls and orthos and a 6" scope will offer a lifetime of pleasure and it may mean you've freed up a little cash for your other interests. Another idea could be solar observing. If the cold and late nights are two of the great banes of stargazing, solar work by comparison is a joy.

Above all, whatever you dercide to do the universe and its splendours will always be there for you.

Not sure the "just learn to accept grey blobs" (it's good for the soul?) worked for me.

Nor sure who prevented me abandoning Astronomy, by mentioning VIDEO Astronomy -

But I AM eternally grateful! Not necessarily less despondent... just differently so? lol ;)

For me, the ability to get *some* flavour of views, through a "much larger" scope, at

a low-ish cost appealed. But, with the caveat, that you can still spend a LOT of time

and money achieve this. FWIW, I generally feel that science is "quite hard" anyway. :p

Amateur Astronomy is genuinely challenging. I think, particularly of those in full time

employment, with families - deserve congratulations re. achieving anything. Unfettered

by such mundane limits, I still feel the need for my own... "technical support" group! :D

Hi Dave,

I just felt i had to comment on this as you are probably feeling like i did a few months ago.  I got my telescope for Christmas from my husband.  We set it up, i had literally no idea what i was doing....  I spent hours just looking through the damn thing and wondering if i was ever ever going to find anything exciting.

After a few upgrades, i have now managed to witness the moon (obviously!), Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Orions Nebulae, pleiads (7 sisters) , M4, M3, M80, Milkyway (i think).....  I have also very dramatically failed on many nights and come back in the house feeling like this whole thing is a total waste of time.  I am a mum of 3, with a busy lifestyle, but i do this because one night, i might actually find something that i have never seen before, and even though what i do find might be just a grey smudgy blob (as my husband says!!) to me, seeing that blob shows that i have achieved something and i have learnt something that night.

Dont be hard on yourself.

Sometimes you just need scan the sky at a relaxed pace and you never know what you may come across!!

Gemma

I absolutely agree :)

Which reminds me, I need a new bottle of Lagavulin...

Buy 2 for £96 at ocado and get £20 off. I've got one in my desk at work, yet to try it as finishing off my Laphroaig select first (been a good week so won't take long). Can't wait though, if its only half as good as the ardbeg uigeadael I'll be happy!

Archived