Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focuser upgrade for GT81 (William Optics)

Hi,

Just a quick question, after a quick shop around I can't seem to find a large range of aftermarket focusers to replace to DDG focuser that comes as standard. Does anyone know what companies supply them?

Thanks

Cam

Feathertouch - They are the best after market focuser that you can buy.

Speak to an astro retailer in the UK and they will be able to sort you out with the right adapter - You will never regret buying a Feathertouch. However if you go for a lesser model (such as Moonlite in my experience) you will regret having not bought a Feathertouch from the start!

Moonlite's look great, but I found them to be less than good for imaging. It became notchy and really wasn't responsive. Try and save money at your peril is my thoughts on focusers. They can in effect make or break an image.

Feathertouch - They are the best after market focuser that you can buy.

Speak to an astro retailer in the UK and they will be able to sort you out with the right adapter - You will never regret buying a Feathertouch. However if you go for a lesser model (such as Moonlite in my experience) you will regret having not bought a Feathertouch from the start!

Moonlite's look great, but I found them to be less than good for imaging. It became notchy and really wasn't responsive. Try and save money at your peril is my thoughts on focusers. They can in effect make or break an image.

I only had £250 to spend on the focuser and I wouldn't be surprised if I had to pay double that for a feathertouch. Moonlite is my best option I think

I only had £250 to spend on the focuser and I wouldn't be surprised if I had to pay double that for a feathertouch. Moonlite is my best option I think

Hi Spoon,

I see you are in Coventry, I am there too, where abouts are you in Coventry?

Regards

AB

Why do you want to replace it? I have a gold GT81 and to be honest, it's a bit naff so I expect you have the same reason as me... that it suffers badly from tilt if not adjusted perfectly.

I'm imaging so I need the best focuser I can afford. I love the digital measurement feature of the GT81 but I'm hanging quite a lot off of it. I had to adjust so that it would pull the draw tube up when pointing above 20 degrees

Archived