Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sleeper Pier just about done!

simmo39

My 6" X 6" Oak pier is stable although it's in a Obby and gets no direct sunlight or rain and the ground is bone dry, you may find it moves a bit while it settles but if it's coated to keep the water out it should be stable, just keep it water proofed or it will move....

That is a very neat and tidy job, some people say wood is no good for piers but i say it is, that looks rock solid, did you get sleepers planned of?

Hi the sleepers are as they came. I just picked the best two I could find.

Thanks for the replies, Just need to do some tests.

• 3 weeks later...

Great job,had you considered mounting the head  directly to the sleepers? you will find you have far less flexure,i found on my rig that i had mounting plates and 20mm studding ,then put head on 3 15mm bolts, looked the part but moved ,did away with three bolts mounted head directly to mount,no more flex.

Agree timber good to  use but keep it proofed and it should last for years,enjoy your set up and i hope you get some great results.

Mike

Great job,had you considered mounting the head  directly to the sleepers? you will find you have far less flexure,i found on my rig that i had mounting plates and 20mm studding ,then put head on 3 15mm bolts, looked the part but moved ,did away with three bolts mounted head directly to mount,no more flex.

Agree timber good to  use but keep it proofed and it should last for years,enjoy your set up and i hope you get some great results.

Mike

Hi Mike. Lets call this mount 1.1, Im sure it will be upto 2.2 soon, Im a liitle concerned about flexing but wont to be able to remove head as and when needed. Do you have any pics of your head mount? managed to align all scopes and got on 300 sec exposure of M57 but havent down loaded it yet. will have a better look at it next week as got stuff planned for the weekend.

This is how I've mounted my pier top adapter (a brake disc atop a 10 mm aluminium disc):

post-33415-0-07150800-1436513707.jpg

I moulded a void in my concrete post to get the nut onto the stud that goes up into the mount, making the whole thing a solid lump when tightened up.

You could chisel out something similar in your sleepers if necessary. :)

Hi Simon? you will have to use the correct size auger and drill out access hole,i would alter the mount so you hve a single connection bolt a la`tripod mount with a hole for the spigot and the centre hole the depth of the base of the eq6 or i can not remember if its flat? and drill an access hole in the side of the timber large enough to get two spanners in so you can tighten the mounts centre bolt and the lock it off with a second nut,or a hole /nset large enough to allow you to get you hand in to use a good quality knurled hand wheel, sorry its long winded but similar to pompey monkeys photo,my set up is on metal mounted on a pier so i have not got a before photo and to look at the mount it just looks normal,hope this makes sense,good luck with any changes you consider,

Regards

Mike

Thanks for the pics.

This is how I've mounted my pier top adapter (a brake disc atop a 10 mm aluminium disc):

attachicon.gifpost-33415-0-98652200-1436012997_thumb.jpg

I moulded a void in my concrete post to get the nut onto the stud that goes up into the mount, making the whole thing a solid lump when tightened up.

You could chisel out something similar in your sleepers if necessary. :)

Archived