Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eyepieces for skywatcher 150

I have a skywatcher 150 and a few eyepieces, A super 25 wide angle , a  super 10, a PL 4mm, also a 2x barlow lens and a 3x barlow lens. I have never taken much notice of them TBH as I have mainly done imaging but I would like to know what would be my best options to upgrade these as they all came together when I bought it 2nd hand

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Can you please tell us which model of telescope this is?

I can think of at least six different SW scopes currently on the market that have 150mm aperture. The style and focal length will significantly affect what would be recommended for your scope.

Thanks

Assuming it is a reflector then I guess f/5 so 650mm focal length - based on you saying you have done mainly imaging.

To be boring the BST Starguider, get an 8mm for 80% of your observing, look at the 5mm for greater magnification and the 25mm for the wider viewing and to find anything.

Those 3 will do just about everything, however I suggest the 8mm first as the supplied 25mm is usually half reasonable, so use that for now.

A 4mm PL (plossl) will be little use in reality, just too uncomfortable to use. Read of a good for a 4mm plossl the other day, cannot recall what but it had nothing to do with astronomy or telescopes.

If you had a decent 2x barlow then you could barlow the 8mm - but a good eyepiece and a poor barlow make a poor combined pair. The eyepiece does not drag the barlow up in perfromance.

If you had the 1200mm focal length SW 150 then the 12mm first then later the 8mm, still the 25mm BST at some time as they are worth getting.

If you go planetary viewing then I suggest changing from the BST's to the X-Cels. The X-Cels come in a better selection at the lower focal lengths.

I would be prone to suggesting the 7mm first with an f/5, although the 9mm would be an equally good option. You have more choices with the X-Cels and could end up with the 5mm, 7mm and 9mm - a nice selection for planetary observing but more cost.

I think Paul has the skymax 150 f12 maksutov

This being the case, a Revelation 2" 42mm is almost a "must have" for low power work, this EP works a treat with this scope

Then a decent 18mm like an ortho or a BST starguider

Last is a hard one, i would be tempted to say a 7mm ortho but some times this will be to much so we then think a 9mm but at times you will want a little more

I have this scope, it's the Skywatcher Explorer 150PL, it has a 1.25 focuser so I use my Baader MKIII Zoom which gives excellent views.

I also have the Zoom 2.25 Barlow for highier mags and the Baader Hyperion 24mm that gives me a FOV of 1.36 degrees, the 24 setting on the Zoom only gives me about 1degree.

I use this scope mainly for splitting doubles so the Zoom is very convenient.

Avtar

Thanks very much for the quick reply, once again without you people I would still be unboxing the thing lol, incidently I bought the scope as a package (I was after the mount) my intentions were to get a refractor later on something like the equinox 80 or the esprite, but I have now been thinking why waste the scope that I got why dont I buy a CCD camera but again thats a different kettle of of fish all together and wouldnt know where to start 

Personally I find orthos a little bit trying and I really have to be in the mood for them and I do have a fair selection.

I would go for something with a bit more in the way of field of view, see what can be picked up on the Maxvision front S/H and new, granted the orthos will be a little sharper but the Maxvisions will be more long term usable.

ExSc eyepieces are also very good without spending a mint.

Alan

Thanks for the picture, Paul - helps sort out the confusion :lol:

Given the long focal length of your scope you don't need to spend a fortune to get a decent upgrade on your current eyepieces. I think a couple of BSTs or X-cell eyepieces would do nicely.

As someone mentioned already the 25mm that you have is probably ok so I'd spend the money at the lower end if I were you in the 7-12mm range.

A 32mm Plossl might make a useful addition as a finder eyepiece.

I had a 7mm Celestron X-Cell that worked fantastically well in my Skywatcher 200P and I'm sure it would be equally good in your scope. I have never used the BSTs but they get great reviews here.

Archived