Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Extortionate Astrophotography equipment prices

Astroboffin

Hi all,

Just come across this seller on fleabay, how on earth can they get away with charging these prices for astro kit, that must have at least a 400% mark up or even more, some examples of there stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Meade-0450730-Dovetail-Plate-for-LX-14-/321680080791?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae5a07f97

Not even a Meade product

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Meade-0620150-Telescope-Viewfinder-/331383893657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d2804ee99

They were also selling the Meade STANDARD wedge for £429.00 but listing has gone now

AB

Extortionate indeed, but it's a free market; maybe somebody out there is daft enough to pay that much.

Anybody who is serious about our hobby would surely have the nouse to do a bit of research on the kit before buying it.

Extortionate indeed, but it's a free market; maybe somebody out there is daft enough to pay that much.

Anybody who is serious about our hobby would surely have the nouse to do a bit of research on the kit before buying it.

Agreed, someone has bought one of the finders.....

:)

AB

Kind of like the same kind of people are willing to fork out £125 for an "astronomy" viewing chair that is very similar to an Ironing chair on Amazon for £40.

If they want that extra comfort of purchasing with an "for astronomy" sticker on it, I say, take their money and run laughing.

At least Dik Turpin the highway robber wore a mask when he robbed people.

Most astro kit is massively overpriced for what it is new or second hand,but there are a few bits that are well priced in my opinion, my astro bargain for me is my mount although realistically it's just a couple of motors and a few simple circuits its ability to track and allow me to see the stars planets and do some astro photography is well worth the price tag and where the VALUE is especially considering it's such an important part of our kit. most of us at some point have just brought something because it's easier than trying to make one yourself. The world business economy relies on us not having time to do certain things ( let's be honest no one buys a McDonald's for the taste just the convenience)[emoji4] and depending on the subject usually the tools or materials to make something. I myself am in the middle of of building an observatory and have priced up buying the timber and making it from scratch, which would be cheaper buy about £30 but a lot harder than modifying a flat pack shed, so realistically not overpriced for what it is,so I couldn't agree more that astro kit is sometime stupidly overpriced but things are only worth what people will pay. Walk into any supermarket and you will see some prices have really come down and this is a really good example of the consumer controlling some of the stupid prices that were being charged for certain things, once people started to go else where for things the big Four supermarkets miraculously were able to do it at the same price. My work has been hit hard hard by this but I personally believe that this will work its way around everything overtime as people's way of thinking changes prices on everything will fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sometimes people really do put astro kit on eBay at ridiculous prices to keep the other half happy. ...'yes dear.....I'll get rid of it' :smiley:

What a clever idea - that could apply to a number of things. I'm going to see if it works

I have wondered if there isn't some ulterior reason for people listing stuff on ebay at stupidly high prices knowing that it's exceptionally unlikely to sell.  I can't see what it might be though.

James

I have wondered if there isn't some ulterior reason for people listing stuff on ebay at stupidly high prices knowing that it's exceptionally unlikely to sell.  I can't see what it might be though.

James

I really am trying to sell the "item you really don't want to part with" taking up space in the garage - honest love, look here's the advert!!

I really am trying to sell the "item you really don't want to part with" taking up space in the garage - honest love, look here's the advert!!

Yeah, but if you look at the stuff that person has for sale, it's a bit of a weird mix.

James

I suspect it is an error in this case - the other products seem more appropriately priced. My comments were on the humorous aspect of high pricing.

It's not an error, all his astro kit is massively overpriced.... £430 for a Meade standard wedge....wow

I found a few of the seller's other items (all that I checked) that are priced at around double what you could pay elsewhere, too.

Bizarrely though, that "Meade" finder that says "Explore Scientific" on the dew shield is also on Amazon, with exactly the same discrepancy.  TH appear to offer it (under the correct name) for just over £133 compared with the £197 asked on the ebay page.

It all looks a bit iffy to me.

James

Makes me wonder if the seller isn't just duplicating data from, say, Amazon and then buying cheaper and sending on when they get an order...

James

Archived