SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Frac

That's a big beastie Derek, even the Tele Vue finder is bigger than my new aquisition!

d5f26865 4ca1 4c01 bd5c 470a1910d87e

Look carefully or you won't even see it - it's a Borg Mini 60 achro, bought for when I fancy a night time bike ride to my local dark site. It works surprisingly well for such a little thing! It came with a Baader Amici prism and click lock clamp, mmmmmm nice!
Edited by Roy Challen

The Helios 6" f/8 is ready to try out the new TeleVue DeLite 18.2mm along with a rather extravagant finder scope :grin:

lol What a finder Derek, I like it :) and I look forward to heraring your thoughts on the Delites on the other thread!

I really need to pick your brains about this 6" f8 at some point. I'm tempted by a 5-6" myself for my upgraded Skytee. You could have it full aperture for DSO's and stopped down to 4" f/12 for planets, Moon, and doubles. I could store one vdrtically within the space taken up by my Skytee legs so it certainly is a thought :)

lol What a finder Derek, I like it :) and I look forward to heraring your thoughts on the Delites on the other thread!

I really need to pick your brains about this 6" f8 at some point. I'm tempted by a 5-6" myself for my upgraded Skytee. You could have it full aperture for DSO's and stopped down to 4" f/12 for planets, Moon, and doubles. I could store one vdrtically within the space taken up by my Skytee legs so it certainly is a thought :)

Chris,

I love the 6" f/8 and when I get back from my holidays I will be picking up my new Starwave 102 f/11 and Bresser Messier AR127L f/9.4 and will be finding a way to get all three on the SkyTee II for some big frac fun :grin:

I might piggy-back the Polarex Unitron f/16 onto one of them and have four canons blazing at the same time :wink:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Lovely Derek, I especially like the Bresser having been looking at getting the 6" version for DSO's. The newer Bressers seem to have some cool kind of Hexo focuser thingy to help prevent slip, but I see you've gone one further and dropped a Moonlite on it :)

Looking very much forward to your thoughts on the Bresser :) 

• Like 1

The Moonlight was on it when I bought it, Chris, so very pleased. I also have the original focuser with the package so can try that out too and let you know what I think of it.

I also like the look of the Starwave and it will be interesting to see how the longer FL compares to my ED100.

I suspect I now have more refractors than any man needs so the Starwave/ED100 and Bresser127/Helios150 comparisons will possibly result in one or two scopes going to ABS UK :wink:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 1

Nice looking pair of fracs Derek :smiley:

I strongly suspect that the Moonlite will exceed the stock focuser of the Bresser by some margin, if the Bresser one is like the one I had on my Bresser 127L and Meade AR5 (which I believe are the same scope). They are functional and thats about it.

I've not tried one of the 102mm F/11 achros as yet. They always look rather elegant in their proportions :smiley:

• Like 2

I've not tried one of the 102mm F/11 achros as yet. They always look rather elegant in their proportions :smiley:

Indeed they do - the Starwave has quite a retro look to it in its simplicity. The stock dual-speed focuser feels very smooth and solid and is a huge step up from the standard issue Synta gear.

• Like 1

Lovely looking scopes Derek, perhaps the Priory might need to start doing a refractoholics rehab course ;)

I've always liked the look of the 102 f11 scopes, beautifully proportioned and they look like a proper scope. The reality though is that it wouldn't give me anything the Tak doesn't so I just have to remain strong!!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on your new acquisitions :)

Hope you have more luck with the skies than me lately, haven't seen a star for ages! :(

• Like 3

I strongly suspect that the Moonlite will exceed the stock focuser of the Bresser by some margin, if the Bresser one is like the one I had on my Bresser 127L and Meade AR5 (which I believe are the same scope). They are functional and thats about it.

It looks like Bresser have updated their focusers John, they literally look hexagonal now which is interesting.

It won't be like a Moonlite of course, but it would be interesting to see if it's much of an improvement over the agriculteral ones this type of scope used to ship with? It would be a big bonus if its liveable :)

Derek - Good result with the Moonlite! :)

Oooh heres a link showing the updated Bresser focuser:

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Bresser-Messier-AR-152L-1200-Hex-Focus-Optical-Tube-Assembly-4852120.html

Edited by Chris Lock
  • Like 2

I've always liked the look of the 102 f11 scopes, beautifully proportioned and they look like a proper scope. The reality though is that it wouldn't give me anything the Tak doesn't so I just have to remain strong!!

Thats the problem I have - I can't think of how to explain to my other half why I need a long 102mm refractor as well as my shorter Vixen ED102 !. I suspect the "but it looks really nice" excuse won't do the trick :rolleyes2:

That said I've got a TAL 100R standing next to me at the moment .... gathering dust ....

• Like 3

Thats the problem I have - I can't think of how to explain to my other half why I need a long 102mm refractor as well as my shorter Vixen ED102 !. I suspect the "but it looks really nice" excuse won't do the trick :rolleyes2:

That said I've got a TAL 100R standing next to me at the moment .... gathering dust ....

Ah yes, I'd forgotten the TAL. I assume you would use the Vixen instead given the choice?

Would be fun to have a '4" Shootout' sometime.

• Like 1

Ah yes, I'd forgotten the TAL. I assume you would use the Vixen instead given the choice?

Would be fun to have a '4" Shootout' sometime.

The Vixen is the best 4" refractor I've owned or used Stu. Despite being F/6.5 it's CA control matches the ED100 that preceeded it and it's overall optical figure is excellent. I'm going to put a Moonlite on it next week to smarten it up a little :smiley:

I guess I'd have to move to a Tak or TV 4" to get any improvement and even then I suspect it would be slight.

Back on the Bresser 127 tack, look what someone in Germany did with a pair of them :grin: :

post-118-0-14374000-1441386571_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I tried a new trick when I got home with the Bresser 127 last night. Bearing in mind that Mrs T has seen my Polarex 60mm, Evo 100ED, Helios 150 and Starwave 102 cross the doorstep in the past few months I went out to the car to fetch it and said "You are going to like this one, it's completely different to all the others!". When I walked through the door with the Bresser she looked at me like I was a complete idiot, sighed and walked away. Job done - no more discussion required :lol:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 3

Well I think it's a great move buying 4 similar spec fracs so you can test them against each other in real time.

It beats selling a scope to try another then realising the one you sold was maybe better but you can't be sure. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

It looks like Bresser have updated their focusers John, they literally look hexagonal now which is interesting.

It won't be like a Moonlite of course, but it would be interesting to see if it's much of an improvement over the agriculteral ones this type of scope used to ship with? It would be a big bonus if its liveable :)

Derek - Good result with the Moonlite! :)

Oooh heres a link showing the updated Bresser focuser:

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Bresser-Messier-AR-152L-1200-Hex-Focus-Optical-Tube-Assembly-4852120.html

I've been looking at those on the Telescope House website. Although this is a refractor thread, the new Bresser 8" dob looks interesting. The use of tube rings to attach the alt bearings makes it easy to switch to an EQ mount for the scope at a later date. Smart design.

The 127L refractor with the new hex focuser looks decidedly good value at £250.

• Like 1

Well I think it's a great move buying 4 similar spec fracs so you can test them against each other in real time.

It beats selling a scope to try another then realising the one you sold was maybe better but you can't be sure. :rolleyes:

That was exactly the plan, Chris. I have no intention of keeping them all but having the opportunity to compare them on the same target at the same time a few times should allow me to avoid selling one and then regretting it.

Edited by DRT
  • Like 1

I've been looking at those on the Telescope House website. Although this is a refractor thread, the new Bresser 8" dob looks interesting. The use of tube rings to attach the alt bearings makes it easy to switch to an EQ mount for the scope at a later date. Smart design.

The 127L refractor with the new hex focuser looks decidedly good value at £250.

Yes I had a look at the Dob too John. Apart from the EQ mounting option which is a very good idea, I think it also has decent sized alt bearings, plus the base looks reasonably light. Looks like Bresser have really thought about the design :)

I thought I'd do the Dob paragraph in a nice pinky purple to keep it seperate  :lol:

The AR127L looks like a wonderful amount of refractor for the money, you should check out some of the reviews John, it's reviewed very well which makes it even better value :)

Edit: just thought, you've probably read more reviews than me about it having once owned one.

Edited by Chris Lock

...The AR127L looks like a wonderful amount of refractor for the money, you should check out some of the reviews John, it's reviewed very well which makes it even better value :)

I've owned a Bresser 127L and a Meade AR5 Chris. They are identical apart from the branding and I suspect the optics of the new Bresser 127L's are the same.

The Bresser was very nice but the Meade had very mediocre optics :undecided:

I had a Meade AR6 for a while as well which I think is pretty much the same scope as the Bresser 152L.

• Like 1

hehe Sorry about that John, I ammended my post once I'd remembered you'd actually owned the scope :D

Can I ask how you found the 152L equivalent John? I'm thinking about buying it for DSO's or maybe even the ES AR152 f/6.5? If it's a bit pants I might just up my frac apperture an inch and get the 127L.

Edited by Chris Lock

hehe Sorry about that John, I ammended my post once I'd remembered you'd actually owned the scope :D

Can I ask how you found the 152L equivalent John? I'm thinking about buying it for DSO's or maybe even the ES AR152 f/6.5? If it's a bit pants I might just up my frac apperture an inch and get the 127L.

No problem Chris - I've owned quite a lot of scopes :rolleyes2:

I found the AR152L decent but quite a bit heavier than the Synta / Skywatcher 150mm F/8's. I used a Chromacor with mine which removed most of the CA and corrected the SA that these scopes seem often to have.

If I went for a low cost 6" achro again I think it would be a Synta / Skywatcher F/8 - I never really warmed to the AR6 for some reason. I prefer the Bresser 127L over both the AR6 and the Skywatcher Evostar 120 that I had around that time.

I'd not go for an achro faster than F/8 even for deep sky observing because of the CA.

All good fun though :smiley:

• Like 1