SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Frac

Still won't work. Never mind, I don't want to digress from original topic. Basically, the picture is my 110ED on an EQ-5 with a 10x60 finder/guider, Altair dielectric star diagonal and an Altair 18mm ep :)

• Like 1

It's saying I'm not permitted to upload the file. Well, I'm sure we know what an Altair Starwave 110ED looks like. That's what the picture is haha.

You might not be allowed to post pictures until you have a certain number of posts - you currently have 17 which is very low. A number of functions here switch on automatically the more posts you make.

You might not be allowed to post pictures until you have a certain number of posts - you currently have 17 which is very low. A number of functions here switch on automatically the more posts you make.

Ok, that makes sense. I've noticed a few functions on here that require a certain amount of posts to activate. Don't worry though, I won't go around spamming every topic on here just to buid my post number haha

• Like 3

If its so bad, why do you have it ?

I like the look of it, its quite a sweety to look at and in its wooden fitted box its quite charming to get out occasionally and have a fiddle.  I have two of them.  One thats quite old and tatty and the one in the pics which, until I bought it a few years ago, had never been out of its factory wrapping.  It was still wrapped in its greaseproof paper and the tripod had clearly never been used.

Its kind of collectible, its got the full white light kit and its pretty much just that - a collectible.  Optically its fine and its objective does give sharp enough views but a telescope is much more than an objective lens.  The mount is horrible, the focuser worse.  In its day it represented the best there was but almost any modern scope will run it off the road.  Its no match for the TAL 100 either in its views or the ease of operation.

I really only keep it so I can occasionally get it out the box and go brrrrrrrrr - horrid old telescope - mostly to annoy the rose tinted glasses folks :)

Occasionally I toy with the idea of converting it to a solar scope as the lens is good but its an awful lot of cash and why bother when I could buy an off the shelf dedicated solar scope without all the headaches of conversion.

If I could ever rouse myself I would get some rings to mount it onto my HEQ5 (the Unitron rings are uniquie and only mount to the Unitron mount) and add a .965/1.25 diagonal to give it a run on a modern mount but I never seem to get this up the priority list.

Hey F15 - I am good, well as can be expected as I have had some health issues over the last few years.  You see I was right not to sell you my Unitron you may have hated it and all your nostalgia would be destroyed :) You'd never get misty eyed again at a long focus frac :)

Edited by Astro_Baby
  • Like 4

I've already posted here [emoji57] but I love my frac so much more than the other scopes I've had... all one of them, a 10in SCT. I'm honestly not even sure why, but I can better relate to frac optics which makes me feel closer to the action, despite the large decrease in aperture. It's irrational, but so am I.

d1d63d06f539fa3d2987a8a40acf8a68.jpg

- N8

• Like 5

Eh it's okay I guess.... If I kick it as hard as I can it does wobble a tiny bit. Hopefully, in time, the Brothers Bisque will be able to work out a solution because obviously you're going to kick your mount hard and nobody wants that to effect your viewing [emoji6]

N8Allen - I bet that scope and mount combo provides for a zero wobble viewing :)

- N8

Great looking scope David :smiley:

Here is the 6" F/12 Istar that I used to have - quite a handfull to mount and a challenge even for an EQ6 on the massive Meade Giant Field Tripod !

post-118-0-17128900-1437985627_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Update to unboxing pics earlier...

Had chance at the weekend to get it all set-up and sort the 2-axis balancing routine specific to Half Hitch mounts - allows for fluid movements without the need for tension.

Encoders are hooked up to the iPad Air2 via a Nexus WiFi device. iPad attached with a 'gooseneck' from Amazon. LiPoly battery pack velcro fastened under the 'DSC' bracket can also power the iPad if needed. Also have the option to go 'old school' using the SkyCommander and atlas when I don't want 'electronics'!

Just need the Hand Tracking Control Unit to arrive from the States and we're..... finally.....  'finished'!!!!

Looking forward to first light at some stage now !

Damian

post-4105-0-55785600-1438611921_thumb.jp

post-4105-0-02061000-1438611927_thumb.jp

• Like 14

Chris, how are you getting on with the Vixen 90?

Hey Jules, you were right, I do like it :) I was out with it the other night and it showed very little CA on the limb of the Moon, and stars were pin pricks. It might be lacking a touch of contrast so I'll look at how well baffled and blackened the tube is, but on the whole its great, really well built as well :)

p.s the focuser is very nice for a simple 1.25" R&P. 

• Like 1

Fresh out of the box, my new TS Star71, promptly dispatched by Ian King at a saving of £130 over the identical WO item (except it doesn't come with the M48 adapter, but I got one of those anyway).

Out of the way clouds, I'm coming through!!!

StevieO

post-39242-0-74150500-1438704158_thumb.j

• Like 7