Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

32mm for heritage 130p

hi again everyone.so I am really happy with my 130p I have the 10mm and 25mm cheapies that came with scope and ive had some good views through them but as usuall I want to upgrade my eps I have a 15mm bst starguider coming tomorrow from allen for my midrange.now I use my 25mm the most for viewing the sky and getting used to the constellations ready for some dso viewing.i saw m13 In Hercules the other night and was amazed that my scope could see it. even though it was a grey smudge I was so happy :) I see they do not do a 32mm bst so would like some info on an alternative for my f5 scope.i don't mind paying upto £100 for it as I know this will be my most used ep.wishing you all clear skies.

Hi, I think your exit pupil will be quite large with a 32mm, 6.4mm I think? If you have very young eyes then this should be fine but even so a 32mm might give you a bright sky background thus reduce contrast.

Something like a 24mm 68 degree EP might rock your world though? :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-68-degree-series-eyepieces.html 

ah yeah forgot about the exit pupil(still learning)and my eyes are far from young(47 years old)so a 25mm would really be the max then for the exit pupil I need ?

Your own eyes ability to dilate would be one factor and also local light pollution, if it's not that dark at your observing site it would hamper achieving full dark adaptation. 

ah yeah forgot about the exit pupil(still learning)and my eyes are far from young(47 years old)so a 25mm would really be the max then for the exit pupil I need ?

25mm would make sense, it would give you an exit pupil of 5mm which I think on average should be fine for 47 year old eyes ;)

I've heard the best resolution for DSO's is achieved at an exit pupil of 2mm, my ES100 20mm with my C8 gives me 2mm and the contrast is great :) 

Maybe something around 20-25mm with a larger field of view would give you the best results. Only at f/5 you need fairly well corrected glass such as the Maxvision 24mm 68 degree or the ES68 24mm eyepieces.

thanks for all the replies I knew I would need better eyepieces with my scope being f5 and picky with cheaper eps that's why I have a budget of £100 and the Explore Scientific 68° 20mm looks ideal and in my budget

20mm Maxvision is a very nice eyepiece :smiley:

I wouldn't though dismiss a 32mm plössl as useless in your f5 scope. The bigger exit pupil with 32mm gives you 2.6x more surface brightness, this is very helpful in observing extended DSO*s, especially large nebulae where mostly often a narrow band filter (UHC, OIII or HB) is used, these narrow band filter blocks most lights outside nebulae spectrum, thus much less skyglow than viewing without a filter.

When I had 130P EQ, the same mirror spec with yours, the best view I had on veil nebula was through a 32mm plössl with OIII.

A 25mm BST will give about an identical view as the 32mm plossl, so if it is the width of view that you are looking at there is so little difference to be immaterial.

Work the numbers out.

However the 32mm TV plossl is very good, but does cost a fair bit more.

Good consideration from YKSE regarding OIII filters, but you still need to be able to dilate to 6.4mm not to waste the potential increase in surface brightness I think?

20mm ES68

20mm Maxvision

25mm BST

All good choices if you ask me, and the latter two are even cheaper :)

Yeah, with the 130p having a 1.25" focuser, the max field of view would be given by an eyepiece with 24mm 68 degrees or 32mm 50 degrees, any bigger and vignetting occurs with the 1.25" barrel. 

you guys are awesome the help you give people new to astronomy is invaluable.i have decided to get the es maxvision 20mm and the bst explorer 25mm just over my budget for both but the misses booked our wedding today so I think she wont mind ;)

Congratulations to your wedding :smiley:

As you're going to get 20mm MV, I would like to think buying the 25mm BST is not well spend money. Let's assume that your pupil doesn't dilate to 6mm, would you rather limit faint fuzzies brightness with the eyepiece or let your eye sets the limit? If we're talking about an expensive eyepieces, that'll need a serious consideration or eye examination, but we're talking about an inexpensive and good plossl (relelation plossl, e.g.), costs half of a BST. I'm older than you, had no problem with 32mm plossl, John(the mod, older than you too) used 32mm plossl in his f5.3 scope hunted down most of the 60+ galaxies in one night. :smiley:

Congratulations to your wedding :smiley:

As you're going to get 20mm MV, I would like to think buying the 25mm BST is not well spend money. Let's assume that your pupil doesn't dilate to 6mm, would you rather limit faint fuzzies brightness with the eyepiece or let your eye sets the limit? If we're talking about an expensive eyepieces, that'll need a serious consideration or eye examination, but we're talking about an inexpensive and good plossl (relelation plossl, e.g.), costs half of a BST. I'm older than you, had no problem with 32mm plossl, John(the mod, older than you too) used 32mm plossl in his f5.3 scope hunted down most of the 60+ galaxies in one night. :smiley:

You have a point about letting your eye set the limit.

I think the MV20 is a great choice, I've owned all the MV's in the past (well apart from the 34) and they are ridiculously good value for money :)

I'm also not convinced about the combo of MV20 and BST 25, maybe something like MV20 and Vixen NPL 30mm would be a good compromise?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

thanks for all the replies I knew I would need better eyepieces with my scope being f5 and picky with cheaper eps that's why I have a budget of £100 and the Explore Scientific 68° 20mm looks ideal and in my budget

Hi Ju Piter! As it so happens the 20mm maxvision 68° just came through my door this morning, if I manage clear skies in the next couple of nights I will try and post a mini review for you.

I'm not very good at criticising equipment but I'll do my best.

Here it is with the usual 25mm Stock cheapy to get an idea on dimensions.

post-36849-0-90395700-1432058983_thumb.j

Hi Ju Piter! As it so happens the 20mm maxvision 68° just came through my door this morning, if I manage clear skies in the next couple of nights I will try and post a mini review for you.

I'm not very good at criticising equipment but I'll do my best.

Here it is with the usual 25mm Stock cheapy to get an idea on dimensions.

Congrats on the MV20, you'll love it! :)

Archived