NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope On Flights?

Hello, if I put a 130mm-650mm newtonian in a cushioned holdall and took it as hand luggage would they let me through security? Also will the tripod and eq mount survive being in the hold? Has anybody tried this before?Thanks!

Doubt that very much!

Taking a heck of a chance on the mount. Personally it is not a chance I would take putting an expensive mount in a hold. The box would have to be realy substantial. In other words very heavy. Expensive at the very least.

Derek

I have put a dismantled AltAz3 in the hold and travel with the ST80 in hand luggage, but I can't see a 650mm being OK in any carriers hand luggage as too big. Probably one to contact the airline you intend to travel with and see what options they have and at what cost.

A pair of binnoculars is easy to travel with say either 8 x 42 or slightly bigger 10 x 50.

Hi Dom,

They would probably let you through customs though I imagine you would get a few quizical looks from the security guards. As others have suggested I would check out with your carrier their luggage restricitions.

Personally though, I would get something like a Heritage 130 Dobsonian for travel. Saves weight on taking the mount and the tube compacts down so should fit in a rucksack or similar. £128 from flo at the moment so not bad value if you can set it up on a table or similar when you get too where your goining.

Ben

To a greater extent it would depend on where you are travelling to. Having experienced the security on Air lanka some years ago, not a chance!.. Suspect would be more relaxed if   visiting an EU country and the scope could be shown and passed through an xray device.

If I'm going abroad I normally take a small refractor (between 60 and 80mm) and use it on a photo tripod with a small Giro mount. This works very well and is quite a lightweight option. Hand carry the scope and put the tripod well wrapped in you clothes baggage.

Have you considered something like an ST80 clone?

I"ve made about 60 flights, many intercontinental, with my expensive bicycle and had very lttle damage. The handlers are not careful but I would not worry about a well packed mount. I've made four flights wth refractors in the hold without issue but I would be wary about a really good one in there. Taking OTAs on as hand baggage should be OK. Take some printed documentation to show what the instrument is all about. Contact the carrier in advance.

Olly

I think the length would be its "Achilles Heel" for hand luggage with most airlines, it usually has to fit into their guage at check-in. I flew my C8Se to Tenerife by hold cargo with no problem, the OTA was wrapped in a sleeping bag placed in a zip up holdall, the mount and tripod in a normal hard suitcase.  :smiley: 

Archived