32 mm EP - which one

fredman

Hi all.

Next month i'll pull the trigger on one, as i am begining to increase my EP collection.

However i found two brands within the reach of my wallet, and the only two differences are FOV and the price.

The eyepieces are these:

http://www.omegon.eu/pt/omegon-1-25-32mm-pl-eyepiece/p,43864

50º FOV / 29.90€ (32.51$)

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Bresser_SPL_32mm__52_-_31.7mm__1.25_inch_.html

52º FOV / 49.00€ (53.29$)

Will the 20$ and the 2º extra of FOV compensate over the Omegon?

There is other Omegon EP of 40mm for the same price as the 32mm.

I'll be better of with a 32mm or 40mm?

Opinions and sugestions are most welcome my friends

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a Meade 4000 series 32mm Plössl and it's as sharp as anything.

There's not point in getting a 40mm. It has a smaller field of view than the 32mm as the field stop is the same saize.

If you're looking on Telly House, then the Revelation plossls are thought to be pretty good, or the Vixen NPLs are also highly rated.

I had the Vixen 30mm NPL on loan for quite a while. Compared well with the 32mm TV plossl. Nice eyepiece :smiley:

Second the 30 NPL - used to be my workhorse ep. Very nice indeed.

On the 40 vs front - I don't think the 40 will give you anything over the 30 (I have the 40 & 32 TeleVue Plossls, but frankly I don't need both and tend to use the 32, so my plan is to sell the 40 to fund a TVP 25).

The price of the Vixen NPL 30mm is the same as the 40mm. Is there any plausible reason to go to one instead of the other?

A 32mm Plossl delivers the maximum True Field of View available in a 1.25" eyepiece. The 40mm will deliver a lower magnification, but to do so, produces a smaller image circle - otherwise known as the Apparent Field of View. It's a bit like looking down a straw at something very small.

As your Astromaster has a focal length of 650mm, I'd even say that a 32mm Plossl is too low a magnification at 20x (650/32=20x) and it will give a 6.4mm extit pupil (32mm/F5=6.4mm) which, unless you are under very dark skies, will tend to make the background sky quite grey.

I'd suggest you go for a maximum focal length of 25mm (26x & 5mm exit pupil) and preferably 20mm (32.5x &4mm) as these are still quite low magnifications, but will help keep the sky darker and give a more pleasing, higher contrast view. As such, I'd echo the sentiment on Vixen NPLs. I have seen better contrast Plossls for less, but it is a sharp EP and will be as good as anything at handling an F5 scope. It's just that I'd go with a shorter focal length.

However, as you already have a wide angle/low magnification 25mm EP (and a 10mm) that came with the scope, I'd suggest having a look at something in the 15mm range and/or a Barlow. The Barlow in particular will effectively give you 25, 12.5, 10 & 5mm focal lengths with your existing EPs. With a 15mm EP, that ends up being 25, 15, 12.5, 10, 7.5 & 5mm. which is really as much as you will ever need. At 5mm, you'll have 130x magnification and a 1mm exit pupil which will be much nicer for planets, globular clusters, etc.

Russell

35mm plossl delivers the largest FOV possible in 1.25" not 32mm.Not readily available,but if you look for one,you can find.Its the Celestron Ultima,Parks Gold series,Baader Eudiascopic,Antares Elite 35mm plossls.All are 5 element masuyama design.However,require additional inward focus and have very generous eye relief.Well,too generous,and as a result,baader eudiascopics actually come supplied with additional ring to be put on top of the EP followed by rubber eye guard.For spec wearers,ring is not required.

According to it's published specifications the Meade 3000 series 40mm plossl has an apprarent field of view of 44 degrees. If that is correct then it would should show just a tiny bit more true field than even the 35mm's mentioned above. I owned one once and it did seem "immersive" for a 40 degree 1.25" eyepiece although I still think the AFoV was a touch shy of 44 degrees, probably 43.

The issue is though, as Russell points out, that an apparent field of view of less than 50 degrees starts to create the impression of looking down a straw / tube. So many are happy to sacrifice a little (and it is only a little) true field for a less contricting view though the eyepiece and a little higher magnification which brings its own benefits.

The most expansive (in terms of the view) eyepiece I've ever owned in the 1.25" size was a Widescan III 20mm which had a whopping 84 degree apparent field and showed the same amount of sky that a 32mm plossl does.

Ok, so a Vixen NPL will be.

You all got me convinced and with a desirable price tag, it is a must have.

The possibility of doing Afocal AP is an extra [emoji1]

But i am wondering, it is possible to do it with some kind of extension tube to attach the DSLR ?

I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb and say that this should be good. Over the last few weeks i have bought Omegon filters (for solar observing and coloured ones for planetary use) and the quality of build is as good as any other ive bought and they work well. 

I bought from:

www.astroshop.eu

they are based in Germany. I also bought my Hershel wedge from them.

Your mind is made up on the 30mm Vixen NPL. You wont be sorry. I own 4 NPL's (including the 30mm) and they are just great. 

I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb and say that this should be good. Over the last few weeks i have bought Omegon filters (for solar observing and coloured ones for planetary use) and the quality of build is as good as any other ive bought and they work well.

I bought from:

www.astroshop.eu

they are based in Germany. I also bought my Hershel wedge from them.

Your mind is made up on the 30mm Vixen NPL. You wont be sorry. I own 4 NPL's (including the 30mm) and they are just great.

Thats the site from where i am buying my EP.

I had that one under the radar at first. Thought it should be good to, cheaper than the NPL.

I reckon the NPL would be a little better but if the budget is really tight then most of these far eastern plossls work OK. The NPL's are a touch better though. Vixen are a long established and well respected astronomical name wheras Omegon are a brand name printed on the eyepiece.

The crazy thing about that eyepiece is that the description starts singing the praises of another eyepiece halfway though ! :rolleyes2:

"....Skywatcher Ploessl eyepieces offer not only much higher quality but also a wider field of view....."

They are not even selling a Skywatcher Plossl :icon_scratch:

I reckon the NPL would be a little better but if the budget is really tight then most of these far eastern plossls work OK. The NPL's are a touch better though. Vixen are a long established and well respected astronomical name wheras Omegon are a brand name printed on the eyepiece.

The crazy thing about that eyepiece is that the description starts singing the praises of another eyepiece halfway though ! :rolleyes2:

"....Skywatcher Ploessl eyepieces offer not only much higher quality but also a wider field of view....."

They are not even selling a Skywatcher Plossl :icon_scratch:

I notice that the NPL are well praised here [emoji3] that is way i am buying it.

My budget allows the purchase of the NPL, the 30mm to start and in the future the 5mm for planetary (last trimester probably)

Archived