Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gina's DIY All Sky Cam - Complete Redesign

Gina

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooops... Founs a problem for use on my acrylic dome :(

Please be aware that it is not recommended for use on plastic surfaces.

Thank you :)

There are stars out the other side of those raindrops :D   The rain has stopped but the raindrops on the dome remain :(  Maybe if I added extra "dew" heating it would dry them off :D  Or maybe I could add a vibrator to shake them off :rolleyes:

post-13131-0-45882100-1431985755_thumb.j

To deal with rain (and snow and damp etc.) you can put a anti-freeze cable around the base of the dome. I have been able to melt snow in the middle of the Swedish winter and dry up rain in a couple of hours, not a problem at all since i installed it two years ago.

/D

I did suggest spinning the dome at high rpm  :rolleyes:  :eek:

http://www.innovision-optics.com/prod/spintec.shtml

Huw

"There's interesting" (with a Welsh accent) :D  I did think of something like this but the problem is that you couldn't retain the 180 degree view, which I like.  I was thinking of an acrylic disc driven by a small 12v DC motor at the side of the lens.  I have several little DC motors.

Spinning the dome might be possible - but not easy :D

To deal with rain (and snow and damp etc.) you can put a anti-freeze cable around the base of the dome. I have been able to melt snow in the middle of the Swedish winter and dry up rain in a couple of hours, not a problem at all since i installed it two years ago.

/D

Yes, this is a possibility I've already thought of - more powerful dew heater with resistors or nichrome wire :)

This is a good example of the problem with a mono camera for daytime - is that dark area blue sky or black cloud?  In this case it's black cloud but in an earlier similar looking capture it was blue sky.

post-13131-0-35994000-1432029683_thumb.j

'Tis done :)

James

Just downloaded the Mint15+ 64bit version :)  I'll install it on my Linux Mint laptop shortly.

Thank you vey much James :)

"There's interesting" (with a Welsh accent) :D  

Oh now, I really must correct your pronunciation, 'interestin' always has a silent 'g', and should always be followed with 'like', as in there's interestin like  :grin:

But for a purist, that's Valleys Welsh, which is South Wales, I'm of the other persuasion, a Gog, a Northman. :p

H

Thank you for your correction Huw :)  I've only visited Wales, never lived there.  A couple of my relations married Welsh men mostly from in or around Cardiff.  Of course, I guess I should have added "look you" :D  I've often visited South Wales and The Valleys, Gower Coast etc. but only a few times to North Wales, unfortunately, looks lovely :)

There's always this toy, when it becomes available... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=air+umbrella&biw=1560&bih=854&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VhVbVZ-GHerR7AbJ84CQAg&sqi=2&ved=0CC4QsAQ

should be able to hook it up to a weather station for auto operation, or even nano direct control ....

Thanks :)  I did wonder about directing a flow of air across the dome from below the FOV.  I think it would need two though to cover the "shadow" on the far side.  Might have a play sometime :D

Clear skies last night :)  Recorded an AVI video in Sharpcap.  Here is a screenshot of a frame of it just before dawn showing the Milky Way and also a pretty large swathe of dew across the dome top to bottom.  When I return to this project the first job will be a nice powerful dew heater - the current system just about does half a job :D  The screenshot has been flipped the right way up, cropped and had curves applied in Photoshop.  I would really like to shift the weather station mast and wind sensors now - the wind vane and anemometer plus mast just don't look good amongst the stars of the Milky Way!! :shocked:

post-13131-0-43381300-1432114980_thumb.j

James...  I have the oaCapture download, copied across to my Dell laptop running Linux Mint 17, unpacked it and read the README.  Now to save me "bursting my brain" could you just tell me what I should do to upgrade from version 0.4.0 to 0.5.0 please?  Is it just a matter of copying the oaCapture binary from the bin folder in the archive, to the same folder as the earlier version, replacing the file?  Or do I need to do something more?  Might I suggest adding upgrading instructions in the README text file?

I think you should just be able to drop the oacapture binary over the old one.  I can't think of anything that's changed that would require any more work than that for this release.

James

Oh dear - it's saying I don't have permission to extract archives in the folder "bin"...  but I'm sure Im Admin :(  It lets me rename it but not extract it - strange.

post-13131-0-66235700-1432127558.jpg

Archived