Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WHY A 6" F/15 REFRACTOR?

Why a 6-inch F/15 Refractor? From my years of experience as an astronomer who has used a variety of telescopes of different types along with using very rare large apertures of 8-12 inches. I have found the 6 inch F/15 refracting telescope is the optimum design for lunar, planetary, and solar observing. The telescope's size makes it the best instrument in my opinion for advanced observers to use and simple enough for elementary observers to use for their viewing.

An observer can master the telescope system with relatively few instructions, and yet the system is large enough to provide optimum viewing in city astmospheric conditions. Furthermore for more advanced observing the 6" F/15 refractor with it's accessories provides opportunities for photographic and spectroscopic work as well.

Observatories and educational institutions usually have found the 6-inch F/15 refractor to be the finest instrument for lunar, planetary, and solar observing.

For those wanting to build a 6" F/15 refracting telescope system for their observing should obtain a copy of "Telescope Making#44" and read the article entitled "Constructing a Large Brass Refractor" by Larry Myers. Telescope Making was a publication of Kalmbach Publishing Company (Astronomy Magazine)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO for a general amateur a 6" F15 would be far too big to use.

The mount required for such a beast would be very expensive, the OTA would be at least 7 and a half feet long.

I would suggest that a 6" F12 Mak would be a much better option and they offer it on a EQ5 - although I suspect the HEQ5 or higher would be better.

Ant

I think the reference to 'Observatories and educational institutions' says it all.

these scopes are not for the amature......

I do know of one 6" f15 in amature use and that did indeed come from a university and is one very big and very heavy monster of a Coude refractor

Ian

For those wanting to build a 6" F/15 refracting telescope system for their observing should obtain a copy of "Telescope Making#44" and read the article entitled "Constructing a Large Brass Refractor" by Larry Myers. Telescope Making was a publication of Kalmbach Publishing Company (Astronomy Magazine)

Does this author have anything published along the lines of "Building a 25 foot diameter observatory dome for beginers", "How to contruct a very heavy duty telescope mount", "Building small cranes cheaply", or even "Living with back pain"? :rolleyes:

The 6" f/15, whilst being an ideal instrument for many uses, is a big thing. It will be difficult to mount, need a very big mount and is not your "grab and go" setup by a long chalk.

I don't want to appear rude, but such a monster should live permanently in it's own dome, which many of us don't have.

Why not an 8" Newtonian reflector, which whilst it looses out on contrast, wins on resolution, portability, price, size, and chromatic abberation?

Kaptain Klevtsov

Does this author have anything published along the lines of "Building a 25 foot diameter observatory dome for beginers", "How to contruct a very heavy duty telescope mount", "Building small cranes cheaply", or even "Living with back pain"? :laugh:

:rolleyes::):lol: :lol:

I heard that a former middle eastern dictator did try and get one these made, but through bad translation from Iraqi to English it read 'Super Gun' rather 'Super Scope'. The last I heard, he was trying to sell his CCD in Astro buy & Sell as he doesn't get much use of it these days.

Tony..

Antares makes a 105mm f/15 scope. It is available with either an alt-az mount or an equatorial, but I found with my 105mm, f/9.5 scope that to use it comfortably I had to make a taller tripod than is generally available, about 5' at the base of the mount. I imagine for a 6" f/15 you would require a tripod not less than 7' tall, and a very adjustable observing chair, and some considerable time to put it together. I have seen such an instrument and posted a picture of it here last year. If the owner hadn't been such a wuss and gone to bed about 11:00, I might have had a look through it. You would certainly not want to haul it in and out of your garden shed each night, and some sort of movable cover would be in order, but it is a usable amateur instrument.

I think a 6" f/8 with a good minus violet filter would be more handy, though.

If you're going for a big refractor, why stop at 6"? The Pentax 250SD seems like an ideal choice: Aperture: 250mm, Focal length: 3000mm, Focal ratio: 12, Resolution: 0.47", Limiting magnitude: 13.7, Tube diameter: 280mm, Weight: 80kg, Tube length: 3400mm. Sadly, I can't find a price for this scope, but I'm sure it would be reasonable... :(

A picture of said beastie is available at http://www.houseofopticsltd.co.uk/telescopes-pentax.html :D

"Best for observatories and educational institutions"

Totally impractical for the vast majority of UK amateur astronomers.

Why does your observatory not house a 6"F/15 refractor?

Thank you once again for your comments but we stand behind the 6" F/15 refractor...........

By far the best place to stand when using a refractor. :(

CW

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Priceless,an absolute classic. :D:shocked:

• 7 years later...

I think the reference to 'Observatories and educational institutions' says it all.

these scopes are not for the amature......

I do know of one 6" f15 in amature use and that did indeed come from a university and is one very big and very heavy monster of a Coude refractor

Ian

Are you talking about the Carl Zeiss originally belonging to St Andrews University and last seen by me in the hands of Rod Tippet in Derbyshire?

Olly

Edit, Eek, 2008. Not necessarily going to get an answer to this question!!

Archived