Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads Up: Don't buy this ......

John

Found a couple of ads selling these on e.bay:

http://tinyurl.com/2jk2kx

Very nasty - the proper way to deal with these is to throw them away, not try and sell them !

For newcomers to the hobby, these filters are very dangerous - because they go at, or very near, the focal point of the scope that have a tendancy to heat up (remember burning leaves by focussing the suns rays with a magnifying glass ?) and can crack at any moment - you can imagine what the focussed sunlight would do to your eye before you had time to move :shock:

I've a good mind to e.mail the sellers but I guess I'd only get told to mind my own business :rolleyes:

John

I see, from the original tinyurl link, s/he HAS commented on the issue - of getting Emails. Seemingly now including a quasi-unreadable manual page, containing the immortal lines: "Do not look at the sun without the sun filter your eye will be hardly damaged". (sic) I sense an increasingly "entrenched" position? :(

I know it would not help a victim much, but does this person not realise they could be charged with criminal assault through the very act of selling these deadly toys. Especially since the warning has been deliberately ignored. All for the sake of a couple of measly quid heh.

They make me sick. Ebay are no better, whilst a Frontier Town without a Sheriff is quite apt, there are other ways to describe their gross dereliction of operating a safe marketplace. Ignorance is no defence for them.

Ron.

Well spotted John.

I have just sent this message to the seller of the eyepiece "Sun Filters" on "evil-bay."

"Dear Seller,

I have just seen your eyepiece "sun" filters advertised. Are you aware that these may be dangerous in use? Such filters have been known to crack suddenly, exposing the users eye to the direct (and much magnified) rays of the sun - resulting in permanent damage to their sight. This is why 99% of astronomical suppliers do not supply the eyepiece mounted type of Sun filter anymore.

As an amateur astronomer, I would urge you to re-consider the sale of these filters - in case you should face legal action in the future.

Best wishes,"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I hope this person does remove them from sale - it could save someone their eyesight.

Regards,

philsail1

I have just had a look at the ebay site for this sale. Did anybody read the notice at the bottom of the ad, It is in the form of a warning note.

Here it is, I hope it is legible. Pay attention to the very last bit. Lost in translation I would think.

Ron.

Just noticed, the manual he is on about, but he has not noticed the error below.

4924_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

An annoying aspect (and I know you can't put a price on your sight) is that those items will sell for a couple of quid. Its not as if the seller is going to be losing out on a fortune if he pulls the listing and throws them in the bin where they belong.

An annoying aspect (and I know you can't put a price on your sight) is that those items will sell for a couple of quid. Its not as if the seller is going to be losing out on a fortune if he pulls the listing and throws them in the bin where they belong.

Perhaps one of us could buy the filter and throw it away, if it's just a couple of quid. I don't have an ebay account, paypal or anything along those lines (and never will have), or I'd possibly do it myself. I know it's not right to reward the idiot for selling dangerous gear, but whoever decided to "buy and dump" might get a warm glowy feeling inside rather than some unsuspecting astronomer getting a white hot sun beam in the eye.

Just a thought if it really is that dangerous.

Archived