Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations of YouTube vids to watch

We recently got unlimited broadband after years being on a very limited plan - we moved a bit closer to town, and more importantly only 3km from the exchange. So the broadband is not the fastest but good for downloading vids for me to watch, instead of the rubbish on tv. So does anyone have any recommendations for astronomy, science etc vids to watch.

:)

The possibilities are endless: from the typical 2 minutes 'unboxing' videos to full university lectures. I guess, it really depends on what you want to get out of it. 

For in-depth information I can recommend e.g. the 'Skynet University' , 'Yale Astronomy lectures' and the 'SVAstronomyLectures' are all worthwhile. Professor Carolin Crawford gives some good lectures on the Gresham College youtube channel.

Sam, I really like Khan Academy's Astronomy videos and learning sections. The academy also have loads of videos on many other subjetcs, so there's plenty to work through. It's nice to sign up - you get points and tests and stars - but it isn't necessary.

Obviously, there's Sagan's

which is always worth returning to and of equal brilliance is Bronowski's epic Ascent of Man. Sure, it's not about astronomy per se, but I feel is a must watch to culturally ground us. From there, Greene's Fabric is rather entertaining and informative.

There's a few more light hearted videos recommended here, and

and here. Some of the links are broken but I'm sure the videos can still be sought out.

Hope that gets the ball rolling :grin:

Hello,

my favourite astro channel on YT is https://www.youtube.com/user/DeepSkyVideos

The focus is on introducing Messier Objects and their particular specialities. The explanations are given by real scientists and amateur astronomers.

The creator of the channel, Brady, also has other interesting channels like "Numberphile".

best regards

• 4 weeks later...

Archived