Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory - white or green?

rubecula

Much better. I'm in the same boat, actually. At some point in the near future, my observatory will be ready for occupancy, but it will provide room for only a couple of my telescopes and one mount. So it will probably happen that there will be a telescope in the yard on occasion.

I really like the dark walls. I've been pondering a paint color for the interior of my building, and your pictures convince me to go with dark grey. Unlike the other two roll-offs I've built in the past, this one will be painted before the telescope goes in, as this time around I have access to a sprayer.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it is, as that was noted in the flooring thread. In my case, I don't need to build another padded cell -- Freescale provides one of those for me already -- but seeing the way mikeDnight's observatory turned out, I'm going to go with a similar color scheme.

• 4 months later...

Hi to all the undercover members.

I am now in the market for a 2.2 metre full observatory and wonder wether to go for the Orbsey (Dungannon ) or the Pulsar. Both look about the same.The people at Orbsey based in Northern Ireland seem very helpful and knowledgable. Pulsar have not replied to any of my Emails which makes me feel that they are not really interested.

Any help and advice with regard to the choice between the two would be appreciated.

Regards Dave

I can't imagine why they haven't responded to your emails, I have always found Pulsar to be very good in this respect.

I don't know much about the Orbsey observatory so cannot offer any comment but I have direct experience of two Pulsar Observatories that I have owned and I am a great fan. My first was a completely manual version (2.1 metre) and to a very early design and I had it for nearly 10 years. Earlier this year, I sold it on to a new owner in pristine condition and he is very happy with it. I had expected this first observatory to last me out and it would have done so if I hadn't got the automation bug! I needed their latest (2.2 metre) version to achieve my automation goals, hence Pulsar Observatory number two. I'm extremely happy with this fully automated one too.

• 2 months later...

Hi Steppenwolf, Thanks for the feedback. I ordered a 2.2 metre full observatory and paid my deposite, and at the time of this post, am on the nine weeks waiting mark. I have heard nothing as yet with regard to remitting the balance or delivery but live in hopes.

Your web page star images are stunning. you have obviously worked at it.

cheers Dave

I ordered a 2.2 metre full observatory and paid my deposite, and at the time of this post, am on the nine weeks waiting mark.

You won't be disappointed, Dave - the dome is excellent! Gary is pretty laid back but he will ask for payment some time! Thanks for your comment on my images.

Steve - I think you got good service from Pulsar because of who you are!  For ordinary mortals they (Gary) can be a bit tardy.

I hope you are wrong because the truth is, I am just an amateur astronomer like everyone else on here and still learning the craft.

Hi CSM and Dave,

I am a normal mortal with absolutely no track record in astronomy and I have had nothing but excellent service from Gary and Dave at Pulsar and fully endorse Steve's comment. It is true that at times they are difficult to get hold of when they are out doing an installation but their response to problems is first rate. As an example. just after I installed my dome they changed the method of switching the shutter opening, upon talking to them my old system was upgraded to the new one FOC, advice is always freely given as is the interest in your project.

Just speaking as I have found them.

regards

Mike

Thanks guys for the excellent response. Your comments on Pulsar are confidence building. I am now on the delivery time of approx ten weeks. Still heard nothing,Living in hopes ,but will keep you posted on the progress.All being well, I hope to post some pics of the installation when the great day arrives..............cheers Dave

• 2 months later...

Hi  once again ,

After my bad experience with Pulsar Observatories, I finally purchased an Orbsey Evolution4 black & white 2.2 metre observatory from an excellent supplier in Dungannon Northern Ireland. this company supplied and installed within five weeks (Including Xmas week) The owner and working director of this company is Raymond Convie a most helpful and hard working inovator.

The observatory is top quality.The dome is manufactured in ONE PIECE and rotates on a ball race very smooth piece of engineering. German made brush seals are used on the dome and also on the shutter to keep out the weather and  insects from taking up residence. The overall build is very strong and stood up to hurricane Imogen no problem. I will fully automate things this summer and keep you all posted. In the meantime please view the pics. I am delighted wth this observatory.Raymond was very easy to deal with.

No ignoring of emails.No weak excuses. No messing about. No answer phone that says it will get back to you and never does.All in all first class.                      

regards Dave

ORBSEY 012.jpg

ORBSEY 005.jpg

ORBSEY 007.jpg

ORBSEY 009.jpg

ORBSEY 010.jpg

ORBSEY 011.jpg

Archived