Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The 22" mapstar mirror

mapstar

Cheers for the questions Nick and no question is daft as it maybe something obvious I've overlooked

At this stage there is no difference in temperature to the touch but it will have raised slightly after polishing. If you handle the mirror, then where your hands have been it will expand causing high spot problems when you polish, and I'm sure some Texereau Know it all will be along soon to point it out! It's one thing I wanted to eliminate before progressing further but there is a piece of anti fatigue matting between the mirror and table so it would in fact thermally insulate it from the table surface. 

You can see the matt in the back ground against the radiator

This one thinks it's best for some one to find out themselves. Many do after a while

John

-

Afternoon all,

Today's efforts have come together after a bit of digging around in the garage for materials.

A previous project's left over's yielded some 1/8" (3.175mm) rubber sheet just big enough to cover the table top. So I removed all the clamps (or cleats) and with an 8mm hole punch marked out and cut 4 holes in the rubber for the bolt's to go back through.I also removed the excess wood on the clamps (cleats) so that the slurry could flow around the back. Once it was bolted back down I trimmed it with a Stanley Knife

I then went low tech low cost approach and just run some packing tape around the edge leaving approx 8-10mm above which I ran a wedge of silicone up against on top of the rubber.

post-28847-0-20090700-1427992021_thumb.j

post-28847-0-48200300-1427992025_thumb.j

post-28847-0-34409300-1427992029_thumb.j

Fingers crossed tomorrow morning I will have the first polishing session once the silicone has gone off, and determine then where as Derek suggested I can put the drain hole :wink: . Hopefully things will be a lot less messy

Damian 

• Like 2

Looks great buddy! You can now use it as a coffee table when you're finished as well ;)

The silicone is going off so it's looking good but the rubber smell is not exactly the best thing in the world!  :icon_eek:

Looks really good. Let's hope it helps with the polishing [emoji106]

Looks more like hungry hippos table Paul [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha Ha yeah I suppose it does  :grin:

Just where are you doing the work Damian? You seem to be in the house somewhere.

The Kitchen maybe? Either there, or you have a very posh Garage/Workshop  :grin:.

Apologies if you've explained this elsewhere in your thread.

Ron.

• Like 1

Just where are you doing the work Damian? You seem to be in the house somewhere.

The Kitchen maybe? Either there, or you have a very posh Garage/Workshop  :grin:.

Apologies if you've explained this elsewhere in your thread.

Ron.

Hi Ron

I have been working in the kitchen as you quite rightly point out. The reason being that during the winter the pitch was just too cold to work right in the garage. I've just stayed in the kitchen ever since and there is also much less chance of contamination as my garage is quite a mess and needs a tidy out

Damian

looking good Damian, should make for a great glass working table.

Rick M

Thanks Rick

Will be getting it's first run tomorrow. Wish I'd done it a while ago especially when I moved into the house.

If it works well I shall be passing all the info on to Rich (crashtestdummy) to modify his table

Hope the wrist is well on the mend now

Damian

Just checked the table before turning in for an early start

All is looking good and with the new batches of cerium polishing solution made battle will re commence in a few hours

;-)

Edited by mapstar

Hi Ron

I have been working in the kitchen as you quite rightly point out. The reason being that during the winter the pitch was just too cold to work right in the garage. I've just stayed in the kitchen ever since and there is also much less chance of contamination as my garage is quite a mess and needs a tidy out

Damian

Cheers mate, I thought it was an indoor environment. My other thought was, if you're married, then you have a very understanding wife. 

Mind wouldn't let me near the kitchen. It was bad enough I transported pitch chippings into the house on my person.

Trimming the channels after periods of polishing with a trim knife, the little bits flew all over the place,  in my hair usually, where some little bit would drop off during the night, and embed itself into

the pillowcase. Then the Flak flew I can tell you :eek:  :eek: .

The garage can be a cold environment in which to work, but a hard cold lap was a plus in preventing a turned edge, but contact conformity was also difficult, so pressings were frequent through necessity.

One had to guard against sleeks too.

Good Luck in your forthcoming sessions, I think the mirror is about ready to do your bidding  :smiley:.

Ron.