Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tablet... Gutted

trogre

Hi All.

Got an iphone which I use to track & learn stars etc but my wife was given a Archos 101B  10" tablet for Xmas but she is not really interested in it. I thought it would be ideal to view the stars as much bigger screen. Downloaded and paid £9.99 for skysafari+ as it has good reviews. Could not make out why sky was not moving as I turned tablet round. What I did not know being a bit green was the tablet does not have a built in compass, gutted.

I suppose I could always download a compass app but not very accurate. It seems for live views I am stuck with the iphone small screen. No point in doing research on a tablet with compass to buy as 1st priority is to decide what telescope to buy.

But that shouldn't stop you using it. Your phone or even better a real compass perhaps a decent one like a Silva will tell you what direction is where and once you know that just set Sky Safari to the direction your interested in. I rarely ever use live compass view on Sky Safari or Stellarium. Or look up find a constellation and put that central in the Sky Safari view.

Thanks for all you replies. Tried downloading a compass to the tablet but it tells me there is no compass activation on unit.

Still I have done as you advised just used a normal compass to get bearing then pointed skysafari+ in the same direction, it works fine, just need some clear skies now.

Don't worry about it. As soon as you know a few of the brighter constellations. You will use it just like a map and would find the moving screen massively annoying.

Sky Safari pro on an iPad is my preferred tool for planning sessions and when out with the scope.

Paul

Don't worry about it. As soon as you know a few of the brighter constellations. You will use it just like a map and would find the moving screen massively annoying.

Sky Safari pro on an iPad is my preferred tool for planning sessions and when out with the scope.

Paul

Archived