Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally found one!

Leveye

Is that a Meade S4K 14mm UWA? They a very good reputation

yep its the proper first run of Meade 4000 series UWAs. 84 degree FOV and not 82!! very nice and flat FOV,sharp to the edge in all focal length and very generous eye relief.Smoothies can be used by glass wearers where second run had the rubber eye guard.Both produced in Japan and now are becoming a collectors Ep`s. Problem with smoothies was that they didnt had cups and where supplied in plastic container.Second run was supplied in the same bottles but easier to find/adapt cups as for the smoothies.The 14mm never the less is called "Legendary"

Despite being over 20 years old these are still cracking eye pieces and will give a good run for money to they newcomers.14mm is lovely widefield,where 8.8;6.7 and 4.7 where (well still are) superb planetary eye pieces.becoming a bit hard to find in good condition these days.

Just got to ask is that a home made focuser?

It's the standard one that came with the USA made 1998 Celestron C8s from what I was told by the original owner who bought it new. Looks great and works really well even with gloves on.

yep its the proper first run of Meade 4000 series UWAs. 84 degree FOV and not 82!! very nice and flat FOV,sharp to the edge in all focal length and very generous eye relief.Smoothies can be used by glass wearers where second run had the rubber eye guard.Both produced in Japan and now are becoming a collectors Ep`s. Problem with smoothies was that they didnt had cups and where supplied in plastic container.Second run was supplied in the same bottles but easier to find/adapt cups as for the smoothies.The 14mm never the less is called "Legendary"

Despite being over 20 years old these are still cracking eye pieces and will give a good run for money to they newcomers.14mm is lovely widefield,where 8.8;6.7 and 4.7 where (well still are) superb planetary eye pieces.becoming a bit hard to find in good condition these days.

Would you happen to know the exact year this style was made? Or what they sold for new? Not that much history on the net about them except reviews.

Would you happen to know the exact year this style was made? Or what they sold for new? Not that much history on the net about them except reviews.

darn good question!

Smoothies where produced in sort of mid 80`s so i would estimate 1985-1987 or so.unfortunately i think they where something around 290 USD when new,but not entirely sure on that.One thing for sure,it was Meades finest eye pieces they ever released,and anything after 4000 series never matched the quality.Due to relatively large eye relief of the 14mm,there where complaints about kidney beaning as smoothie required relatively accurate eye position.On my personal tests,i cant really say that it was so critical as it took me only a few mins to get used to this EP and then it was smooth sailing.Never the less,based on complaints,Meade released second run of the same eye piece,but this time with rubber eye guard.Obviously this sparkled numerous head to head comparisons and one say that smoothie is better,other swear by the second run.Anyhow,it is a classic eye piece as i said before and still very very good one these days for sure!Enjoy it if you are a fan of smoothies (well i am lol) and who knows,you might be so impressed that you will go ahead and collect them all at some point.These days prices: 14mm in pristine condition will go for up to 200 USD,where all other focal length can go up to 150-160USD per piece.Be careful on the 8,8 smoothie as i had one with rattling middle element and returned to seller.Also due to they age,there cold be internal dust on elements and you dont really want that as taking them apart for cleaning is not something you would fancy doing and i wouldnt even reccomend that.

Ohh and i guess you know that 14mm and 8.8mm where dual fit 2" and 1.25" where 6.7 and 4.7 are 1.25" and still 84 deg FOV. Darn i am missing my 6.7 now lol

Hope this helps ;)

Archived