NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

nebula filter

alro

Hello all

i live in relatively dark sky area with little light pollution.

looking at getting a nebula filter from STL.

cant decide between CLS, UHC , or oiii, all are HT from their premium range, any any advice, thoughts or recommends on these are welcome.

i have been delighted with service quality and advice from STL so will give them my custom and i do value all advice i get from you guys on SGL,

Thanks again

al

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will probably find that the UHC or the O-III filters provide the most impact. They enhance the views of nebulae rather than other deep sky objects though and some nebulae respond more than others. They don't make them brighter but they just let through the light bandwidths that the nebula produce so the objects stand out more against the background sky. Background stars are dimmed and pick up some colour casts. The UHC is probably the most versatile but the O-III has a little more impact on some objects, dramatically so in a few cases. They are not "magic bullets" though and dark skies are still the best way to get the best views of deep sky objects including nebulae.

I tried an H-Beta filter from STL but it turned out to be a photographic filter so no use for visual. Make sure what you are ordering is a visual filter :wink:

I'll be interested to hear what the SGL Massive have to say on this. I've started playing with my 2" UHC filter again and quite like the results in my 8" ACF, but it's by no means a premium job - I'd be interested to know if there is much of difference when spending a small heap more.

Russell

I am surprised at how expensive some of the STL filters are (£89?), that's almost places them in the range of premium filters like Lumicon.  Personally, I would pay a bit more and go for a brand where the performance has been proven many times over such as Lumicon, Astronomik or TV.  Filters I often find are a one and only purchase so why not get the best?

One reasonably priced UHC-type filter that I owned for a while and was pleased with was the Orion (USA) Ultrablock. It seems to get good reviews from the folks in the USA who seem to know a lot more than I do about filters.

Hi Al

Sorry `i'm a bit late here. I was going to say, don't buy the CLS filter as visually they are pretty useless. I had one a while........waste of money IMO.

Either an UHC or an O-III filter are far better options.

Sorry al but I agree with Steve. The CLS will be the least effective and you may well notice no difference at all. Fortunately you should be able to return it and swap to a UHC or O-III for just  the price of the return postage under the remote trading rules.

Thanks Graham,

i got a better deal than the 60 adverised, contact direct is the way ahead.

i would not expect much from a report from me, im new to this,

but as i said its a line in the sand. Ive been delighted with all my buys from STL.

al

I used my STL HT UHC filter last night, and although i was unable to view the target i wanted to see, the nebula in orion, that was due to that part of sky being obscured by my house! I felt that this filter did improve my viewing and the results were spectacular, kind of magical.

Although i am already in a relatively dark sky area, this filter just made it a little blacker and brought forward and giving more depth to the objects.

Excuse my ignorance if im wrong, just incase some of my claims seem impossible, i am going by what my audio star goto told me! I will verify this with my copy of TLAO, but im sure they are what i was looking at. Im backing myself here.

I was able to see the following a lot clearer than previous viewings, andromeda galaxy, pleiades, beehive cluster and haydes and a few messier , caldwell and double cluster. to name a few.

I did try with and without the filter , just to compare and confirm to myself that it was an improvement and with different eyepieces.

Eps used BST Starguider 18mm

MEADE SP 26mm

MEADE SP 32mm

I initially used 18mm bst to compare with meade 26mm sp as they are almost like for like in area of sky i see, then meade 32mm to get the wider view with less magnification and it was with this combination that obviously presented me with the bigger picture.

In addition i also found that the filter glided onto the ep threads easily, felt secure and was flush and a really smooth connection.

By no means is this a technical review, in this field i do not really have the experience,

its just how i found this filter. I have to add that i am massively impressed and state i have nothing to compare this with. For me this was money well spent . I probably paid no more than half price compared to the leaders in this field.

Al

Al,

Thanks for sharing the viewing session, sound like you really enjoyed yourself. My understanding is that they have no additional effect on the likes of star clusters but if you feel it was bonus then what does that matter.

I am trying out a Lumicon Deep sky which I have to say I bought without really know what it did, it is meant to be their sort of light pollution filter, I don't have LP but I do feel it brings things to the front so to speak and makes them a little easier to see, with it being secondhand I will not have wasted my money. I have a H Beta filter on the way to try the Horses Heade next.

Alan.

Thanks Alan,

for me anyways, this filter was worthwhile, yes a bonus for me about star clusters, im convinced they were better!

additinally it was also quiet good on jupiter, albeit a lilac/violet colur, but the detail was enhaced a bit, even mire so than some of the wratten s i have tried.

Definitely a steep learning curve, but i am enjoying it.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again all!

i used this filter again last night, first chance since last review/report i made.

Seeing was good and i used all my bst starguiders 8,12,15,18 and meade sp 32.

this was the furst time i was able to locate nebula. I observed great orion nebula and owl nebula, or so my goto told me! Im sure on this occasion it was right.

On each eyepiece the filter greatly improved the view if nebula. I tried it with and without filter also on each.

My views were greatly improved with filter and i had some spectacular views.

the night skies blackness was enhanced allowing the nebula to jump out at me. I honestly felt i had an awesome view.

with the filter removed i was still able to locate nebula, but it did not jump out at me as thr skies didnt seem as dark.

overall i am massively impressed with this filter, so far it has more than exceeding my expectations and has encouraged or given me confidence to buy ither filters of this make.

al

Archived