Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

T-ring for Canon

griz11

You are really going to have to search the US retailers and decide.

Not sure that there is any "make" like Canon, or Nikon for these.

Any Astro Clubs around you in Austin or San Antonio that you could enquire at ?

Looks like 2 in San Antonio and 1 in Austin.

Yea I belong to the club in Austin and Houston but neither has a forum and I don't drive after dark so I can't get to meetings or the star parties. Hit a deer about a year ago. It wasn't fun. They are all over. Its not for my main camera set-up. I just wanted to put the other 7D on the borg mini 50 and see what it will do. Thanks that will give me some ideas of what to look for. The pieces for the Borg came in Fri so at least now I have an idea of how it all fits together.  Finally cleared up here I managed a session last night but the neighbors were having a ho down across the street with lots of lights so I just played with the guider and setting up tpas on my argo. Fortunately they don't stay past Sat usually and never here during the week. During the week the only neighbors are the deer. And everything is all tuned up for tonight.

Griz

I have tried a few T-rings and most have some play to a lesser or greater degree due to its basic design the option that worked best for me is a low profile M42 adapter with a 10mm T spacer screwed into it (the added bonus for my setup was that the 11.2mm total depth of the adapter matched my FR/FF perfectly).

The design flaw that I have noticed with T adapters is that the camera locating/locking pin has to engage with a indent on the ring rather than a machined hole on the M42 adapters.

Alan

Who makes the best t-ring for a Canon camera. I've read lots of posts about t-rings that are wobbly and such. So I was hoping someone here has figured all that out.

Griz

The one that was supplied with the WO Star 71 for Canon is the best one that I have. It is really well made. The ones from FLO seem to be well manufactured too.

A.G

I have tried a few T-rings and most have some play to a lesser or greater degree due to its basic design the option that worked best for me is a low profile M42 adapter with a 10mm T spacer screwed into it (the added bonus for my setup was that the 11.2mm total depth of the adapter matched my FR/FF perfectly).

The design flaw that I have noticed with T adapters is that the camera locating/locking pin has to engage with a indent on the ring rather than a machined hole on the M42 adapters.

Alan

That's a good option as the straight T rings do have a bit of play.

Most of the play is rotational based on the slot for the lens locking pin - Saying that a lot of Canon L series Lenses have the Same "play" in them ... I used Micropore surgical tape  across the camera body to T mount adaptor join to reduce it...

I  recently bought and I'm playing with one of the "programmable" AF confirmation T adaptors which let you set F-stop and Focal length info in the on-board chip...

This is the one I bought...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300608658702?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Seems to work OK...

Peter...

Most of the play is rotational based on the slot for the lens locking pin - Saying that a lot of Canon L series Lenses have the Same "play" in them ... I used Micropore surgical tape  across the camera body to T mount adaptor join to reduce it...

I  recently bought and I'm playing with one of the "programmable" AF confirmation T adaptors which let you set F-stop and Focal length info in the on-board chip...

This is the one I bought...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300608658702?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Seems to work OK...

Peter...

These and the M42 versions are very useful if you want to shoot with your scope (or old M42 camera lens) during the day as telephoto lens the only slight issue I found was that the scope F ratio is not quite the same as it might be with a camera lens because the collected light is a function of F ratio and transmissabilty through the optics, this can be easily compensated for by dialing in a different F number.

Alan

Archived