Telescope Newbie

Hi all , I'm pretty new to telescopes and I was wondering what the best and easiest one would be for starting out ?

I'v never actually set one up before Iv just used looked through a friends. 

Hope to get some advice?

AliMoon 

Hi Alimoon welcome SGL, First question I would ask myself 

1. Do I want to just observe if so then consider a dobson type Newtonian more power to the buck.
  2. If you want to do astrophotography Then you consider a HEQ type mount either Newtonian or Refracter this is a more expensive route but will cover both Visual and astrphotraphy

Hi and welcome to SGL. If you could give an idea of your available budget, that would help a lot.

Not wishing to put you off at all, but please be aware that "the higher quality images" you mention is a steep learning curve....

Regards, Ed.

An EQ mount is essential for imaging, and I like to use mine for visual as well. Note that different forms of astrophotography require very different scopes for greatest ease of use. Planetary, lunar and (to some extent) solar imaging can be done with many scopes which are good all-round visual performers, like SCTs or Newtonians with fairly large apertures and long focal lengths. Deep sky imaging is easiest with shorter focal length, fast refractors. My approach was to get an 8" SCT on an EQ mount, a very compact and lightweight system with a very decent aperture. That compact size comes at a price, both financially and in terms of DSO imaging performance. I first focused on lunar and planetary work, and then got myself an APM 80mm F/6 for imaging DSOs (still not got everything working).

Depending on your budget, I would get a decent visual scope (6-8" Newtonian or Maksutoc/SCT) on an EQ mount, and do any DSO imaging by putting a DSLR with telephoto lens directly on the mount or piggybacked on the scope.

If your going to progress to imaging then a good eq mount will be needed. You then have a wide choice of scopes. I would suggest if there is an astronomical society near you then pop along and see what others are using. Try them out and see which type you think you'd use. Some can be set up easily and quickly while others give better results but may be heavy or time consuming to set up and therefore not used as much. There really is so much out there to choose from I think you need to get some hands on with a few types before deciding. Good luck in your search.

Hi Alimoon,

I really envy you 'starting' out if that doesn't sound patronising! What I mean is that you have the entire sky to become enamoured with and all aspects of astronomy to become acquainted with. You will find your favourite objects I am sure, for me it is the colours of stars and open clusters, the jewel boxes of the sky. With regard to telescopes and equipment my advice would be to buy small and buy quality because upgrading is part of the hobby :) Having owned very large telescopes I can safely say that with wonderful dark skies a 3-4" refractor (an ED glass model) on a solid equatorial mount will give you a great astrophotography set up and a 6-10" reflector (either mounted on the EQ mount or a manual dobsonian base) will give you a deeper visual experience. Aperture is king and dark skies the queen ;) especially for visual astronomy. That being said, the faint fuzzy you see in a 4" refractor is still only a slightly brighter fuzzy in a 10" reflector.

A very knowledgeable member here posted this excellent guide and advice as to how to manage expectations:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/

Generally people are happy to use a single scope for both; portability, cost, and free time are often limiting factors. I would argue that perhaps over time a two scope easily manageable set up for visual and astrophotography might be worth thinking about but I would start off 'small', buy quality optics and mechanics because you can always keep the little scope for travel and quick looks when you don't fancy dragging out the 16" light bucket Dobsonian at minus 3 degrees :) I would start with a small refractor with a good mount that perhaps has GOTO (sat nav for the night sky) so that you can find things easily to start with.

The most important part of the hobby and its longevity as one is your patience and perserverance - we can help with everything else here.

Hope this helps

Dannae

If imaging is the way you want to got then there are in effect a necessary set requirements.

You will need a good equitorial mount, for a "basic" setup you are looking at an EQ5 or similar sized mount additionally the mount will need dual motors at least and preferably goto.

As you mention "higher quaility images" that implies the need for guiding at some time, the additional weight for the guiding means a bigger mount, so HEQ5 size, and guiding means you have to have goto.

Scopes for imaging are not big scopes, the smaller ones are the better, they do need to be f/5 or f/6. The range of scope is large, a common reflector here is the 130PDS, in the refractor line there are 70mm ED and 80mm ED and APO's. The ED's may give chromatic aberration the APO's should not. William Optics have a nice Star 71 out for imaging. Their GTF-81's and GTF-102's seem to have disappeared, may be worth looking do.

Camera, many use a DSLR and I assume that is your intention, at least initially. However again the "higher quaility images" mean a cooled ccd dedicated to astrophotography. Most scopes need a flatener to deliver good images expecially with a DSLR as the sensor is bigger. The previously mentioned Star 71 has a built in flatener.

One "problem" giving advice is that you are in Australia and people assume the same equipment as here is available and it may not be.

Alternatives to EQ5 and HEQ5 are the iOptron range, as the number in the mount description is the max load you are likely looking at the one with "30" in it.

An HEQ5, apo guide scope and camera and DSLR with assorted accessories you are likely looking at £4000, A$8000. A simpler EQ5, ED scope DSLR, no goto but motors say A$2000. There is a big jump for simple to the next step up, the one above that is bigger still.

If you want to just look then I suggest an 80mm to 100mm refractor, if mated to an EQ5 goto opr iOptron equivalent, that will show you everything and be easy to start with.

You guys have all been really helpful :) and you all seem to know a lot which is great to get help from experts. I am going to look today and see which ones are the best type , depending on the prices and everything. I am looking towards Orion EON 130mm ED Triplet apochromatic refractor telescope it seems to have good reviews. I can't wait to get out an explore :) 

AliMoon 

You guys have all been really helpful :) and you all seem to know a lot which is great to get help from experts. I am going to look today and see which ones are the best type , depending on the prices and everything. I am looking towards Orion EON 130mm ED Triplet apochromatic refractor telescope it seems to have good reviews. I can't wait to get out an explore :)

AliMoon 

That's a great telescope for starters :smiley: wish I could have had such a fine instrument when I got my first one.

Good luck, Ed.

Do you want a telesxope that was like what you looked through your friend has?

Were there any features of it you liked?

Another tack on imaging of you already have all the camera and lens gear is something like a skywatcher staradventurer or say an Astrotac. Just a different approach.

Hi all , I'm pretty new to telescopes and I was wondering what the best and easiest one would be for starting out ?

I'v never actually set one up before Iv just used looked through a friends. 

Hope to get some advice?

AliMoon 

Great Intro  :smiley:

Enjoy what will become difficult Days, Nights, Weeks ahead in making your decision. Its great that you have already seen through a friends telescope. It sets an initial impression.

Hi AliMoon,

The Orion 130mm refractor, is a rather nice but expensive scope. Explore Scientific (ES), have made a name for themselves over the years with quality products like their range of 82° eyepieces, telescopes and optical accessories. Most of the range is once again stocked by Telescope House, in particular the Essential 127mm f/7.5 ED APO triplet refractor, using Japanese Hoya glass. You might like to take a look, as it will cost you a lot less than the Orion, with just 3mm loss in aperture and a slow enough for photographic use, even better with the dedicated reducer/flattener :)

Hi AliMoon,

The Orion 130mm refractor, is a rather nice but expensive scope. Explore Scientific (ES), have made a name for themselves over the years with quality products like their range of 82° eyepieces, telescopes and optical accessories. Most of the range is once again stocked by Telescope House, in particular the Essential 127mm f/7.5 ED APO triplet refractor, using Japanese Hoya glass. You might like to take a look, as it will cost you a lot less than the Orion, with just 3mm loss in aperture and a slow enough for photographic use, even better with the dedicated reducer/flattener :)

Thanks John , I may have a look at that telescope as well as there is so many I almost can't get my head around them all. It also depends on the feel of the telescope as well :)

Do you want a telesxope that was like what you looked through your friend has?

Were there any features of it you liked?

Another tack on imaging of you already have all the camera and lens gear is something like a skywatcher staradventurer or say an Astrotac. Just a different approach.

Not fully like my friends has certain things I like but then It's a tad more on the cheaper side so it doesn't do almost as much as I'd say the higher quality ones. 

I have had a little look at the skywatcher I didn't mind it but theres so many to choose from bit overwhelming :o

Thanks happy-kat 

When looking at scopes be a little careful of the term: apo.

Many will say Apo and it will be an ED doublet, technically a doublet cannot be an apo, it only controls 2 wavelengths not 3. Also there are quite a few reports of the ED doublets demonstrating chromatic aberration.

130 triplet is going to be a big scope.

Very nice but a fair chunk.

Hi and Welcome to SGL :)

I would say do plenty of reading and ask plenty of questions first before jumping into buying a premium Apo straight the way. It might be the right scope for you, infact that kind of thing is a dream scope for a lot of folks! Its not cheap though, and with further reading you might stumble across something that suits you better and at a better price to to test the water with :)

Take it from me I've changed scopes often enough :D

AliMoon 

Hi AliMoon, that's a great choice of scope and means you have a good budget to start with, you are soooo lucky.  The scope will be good for visual and photography should you decide to go down that route.  I wish I could afford such a nice scope, I have a doublet at the moment for visual which I am very happy with.

Archived