SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any good sites near Cramlington, Northumberland?

Odd question, but did you ask this about 4 to 6 months ago?

If not you then there is someone else very close to you.

Best area looks like between the A1 and the A696.

Due West of you there looks like a couple of small lakes with access roads, a few hndreds meters West of them is the Northumberland Cheese Company. The lakes may be a good place to try.

Sunderland Astro Society have a dark site at Derwent Reservoir. It's about 40 minutes from me in Washington, and possibly a similar time for you. It is private land and locked, so can only be accessed when the keyholders are opening up. Part of being an SAS member is having Text Alerts when events at the Wetlands centre in Washington are happening and when the derwent site is open.

I've been to Longhorsley Moor a few times observing, but don't know North of the Tyne well enough to know potential good spots.

Odd question, but did you ask this about 4 to 6 months ago?

If not you then there is someone else very close to you.

Best area looks like between the A1 and the A696.

Due West of you there looks like a couple of small lakes with access roads, a few hndreds meters West of them is the Northumberland Cheese Company. The lakes may be a good place to try.

The Sunderland astro Gand regularly meet up at Derwent Water.......it is a really good spot.....A69 ....Turn off on the Corbridge roundabout.......few miles down the road..... A truly great night out and really dark skies.....sometimes ...

I asked as I am sure there was an identical question before you appear to have joined.

The reason was that I recall looking up the location and I recall saying what at the conditions like at the junction of the A192 and A1068. That rectangle of roads stuck in my memory.

Assuming not yourself some months back there is I suspect someone else in Cramlington with a scope. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

It may be surprising how far due West you may need to travel to get reasonably away from the Newcastle Skyglow - I sometimes head near to Otterburn. I would suggest having a scout around the Rothbury area, Kirkwhelpington or heading a bit further North say towards Ingram Valley.

However as others have mentioned, would recommend Derwent Reservoir on approach to Blanchland and perhaps one of Sunderland Astro's dark sky meets.

You are about 10 miles from widdrington, and druridge bay. this would give you a sea horizon from the beach 'car park'. The skies are very dark, travel a lot up there and take my trusty st120... One time jupiter was so bright and only about 15 deg off horizon and casting light on the water...Some bright spark thought it was a distresss flare and called the coastguards dispatching tynemouth lifboat and helo from Boulmer!!..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-15165928

http://article.wn.com/view/2011/10/04/Tynemouth_lifeboat_search_after_planet_Jupiter_mistaken_for_/

You are about 10 miles from widdrington, and druridge bay. this would give you a sea horizon from the beach 'car park'. The skies are very dark, travel a lot up there and take my trusty st120... One time jupiter was so bright and only about 15 deg off horizon and casting light on the water...Some bright spark thought it was a distresss flare and called the coastguards dispatching tynemouth lifboat and helo from Boulmer!!..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-15165928

http://article.wn.com/view/2011/10/04/Tynemouth_lifeboat_search_after_planet_Jupiter_mistaken_for_/

Archived