NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Viewing with Binoculars

Scooot

I'm hoping to see the full eclipse from the Faroe Islands in March and have bought a pair of these eclipse glasses for the purpose if it's clear.

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Solar_Eclipse_Glasses.html

I know we shouldn't use them with binoculars as it's very dangerous so I was thinking of buying a pair of these Kendrick Mini Solar Filters for my William Optics 10 x 50s. This is the last full eclipse in Europe until 2026 so I thought I'd try and maximise the experience for the both of us. That is if I can find a supplier in time

https://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16660&cat=&bestseller=Y

From purely an observing viewpoint, ie ignoring the cost, would it be worth getting the filters for my bins. Although totality is only 2.75 mins, from start to finish it's much longer so I'm thinking we'd get a reasonable bit of use from them. (If it's clear).

I was also wondering what they might be like for ordinary solar viewing from home. I'd imagine I'd get the same sort of view of the sun as I do of the moon with a similar amount of detail which I'd quite like to experience.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I made this little filter for the end of my 70-300mm zoom lens. When viewing through the tiny DSLR viewfinder, I can clearly see the larger Sunspots. I've even held this filter up to my face, and seen larger Sun spots naked eye, so I'd image you'd get good views through bins. A green filter in addition to ND5 solar filters will enhance detail too.

solar_300mm_filter.jpg

You could always just buy an A4 sheet of Baader ND5 solar filter film and make your own covers for your bins. £50+ is more than double a sheet of ND5 and a little of your time with some card and sticky tape!

I made this little filter for the end of my 70-300mm zoom lens. When viewing through the tiny DSLR viewfinder, I can clearly see the larger Sunspots. I've even held this filter up to my face, and seen larger Sun spots naked eye, so I'd image you'd get good views through bins. A green filter in addition to ND5 solar filters will enhance detail too.

solar_300mm_filter.jpg

You could always just buy an A4 sheet of Baader ND5 solar filter film and make your own covers for your bins. £50+ is more than double a sheet of ND5 and a little of your time with some card and sticky tape!

Thanks for this.

Yes I've seen some DIY filters but I'm not very good at it and as its my eyes I'd just rather pay up and be safe.

Ps I hope that didn't seem a bit blunt I'm sure yours and many others are perfectly safe but I'd rather not rely on my DIY skills. -:)

I know this is more expensive but they are Orion glass solar filters. An alternative to consider - http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/solar-filters-for-binoculars.htm

Cheers for this, I missed these. They probably won't be dearer if I have to get the others from Canada. something to consider.

I don't know much about solar viewing but often see images showing the sun in different light. Anyone know if the view through these is the same as the Kendrick ones. (It probably says somewhere but I'm engrossed unpacking a new dob - :) )

Scooot with white light filters you are looking at the Sun's photosphere. So whether you buy Orion glass or Kendrick or make your own with Baader film the view is the same. In saying that the image colour tint can be slightly different. Thousand Oaks glass filters have an orange colour, glass filters generally are blue/white whereas Baader film is more natural.

I have had Orion, Thousand Oaks and Baader filters but I always felt more secure with the Orion glass filter. Many observers on SGL will also tell you that the image is slightly sharper with the Baader film especially if you are going to take photos of the Sun.

With regard to different light - hydrogen alpha etc these are views of the Sun's chromosphere so are different. The cost of Ha or Calcium is very much higher.

You need white light filters up to and after totality. During totality it is safe to use unfiltered binoculars to view the corona and prominences, using filters at this point would show you nothing!. I used 10x50's unfiltered during totality at the Turkey eclipse, the views were stunning. As soon as the "Diamond Ring" effect begins it's time to revert to filtered viewing.  :smiley:

You need white light filters up to and after totality. During totality it is safe to use unfiltered binoculars to view the corona and prominences, using filters at this point would show you nothing!. I used 10x50's unfiltered during totality at the Turkey eclipse, the views were stunning. As soon as the "Diamond Ring" effect begins it's time to revert to filtered viewing.  :smiley:

That's interesting, thanks Peter. So it would be quite useful to be able to quickly remove or add the filters.

That's interesting, thanks Peter. So it would be quite useful to be able to quickly remove or add the filters.

Yes Richard it would be useful to be able to quickly remove the filters and then replace them at the end of totality. At a total eclipse people keep a watch on the time and call out when totality is nearly over to allow the replacement of the filter.

Good luck with clear skies in Faroe Islands.

DRT.  Your unfiltered bins will still give you the best view during totality.  :smiley:

But there won't be totality in the UK !!!

Please don't look at the Sun through unfiltered anything at maximum - there will still be around 20% of the Sun visible and ready to do serious damage to anyone who looks at it :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived