Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quark In the post

Pig

I have been in two minds for quite a while now deliberating between buying a double stack unit for the Lunt 60 or buying the Quark Chromosphere :shocked: I have finally made up my mind today and pulled the trigger and bought the Quark (SCS Astro)

I also bought the portable power pack and 2" IR filter :laugh:

I should now be in a position to get a full disk view from the Lunt 60mm and close ups form the Quark via the 80mm Equinox, dual mounted on the Giro WR. I don't know if a tri-mount exists but it would be grand to be able include white light in one sitting too :grin:

All that is missing now is the sun :shocked:

It's a good combo, that's what I have, you may need to budget for a couple of eyepieces TV 32 and 40 plossls work well, don't know about the Leica zoom but I found the Baader MK111 zoom, which works well in the LS60  didn't perform in the Quark.

And a .5X focal reducer helps when the seeing is pants.

Dave

Congrats, Shaun! I hope you will be suitably impressed when you use the Quark in the ED80! Kieron at SCS Astro was brill sorting out my early problems with the Quark I bought from them.

As you already know, Sarah and I are getting a second Quark (so we have his and hers, sort of). And plan is to hang onto our remaining SolarMax 60 as single stack. We sold our SM60 double stacking unit to recoup the cost a bit, as the SM60 won't be getting as much use, but it should still be handy for our needs on days with tiny gaps at short notice.

I was thinking I would miss the lovely contrast you get with the SM60 double stacked, but then I had forgotten about double stacking using the Quark! So am looking forward to giving that a whirl, could be a nice little bonus. I'm thinking get observing single stack and warm up the Quark and if it's still clear, pop in the Quark!

cheers guys :laugh: just have the agonising wait now !

Dave - I hadn't thought about eyepieces, my highest power is 25mm

Gerry - don't worry I haven't forgot about the Radian

Mike - I had forgotten all about "piggy" lol, its been ages seen you've said it

Michael - I couldn't resist getting one for any longer

Luke - If the 60mm is anything to go by I cant wait to see it at 80mm. I guess I now also have the option to go large if needs be :evil:

Back to Dave's point the focal length of my shorty refractor is 500mm, what power eyepiece have you all found suitable ?

Shaun, my fave Quark eyepiece is Tele Vue 32mm Plossl in all my fracs (focal lengths: 360mm, 600mm, 900mm), can't put my finger on why, 25mm is nice for sneaking in a bit closer. Eye relief is a bit long on the 32, I use mine with the optional eyeguard extender, without it I have to keep a gap between the eyepiece and my eye.

Great stuff Shaun. It would be great if you could do a little review. My heart is still split going for the 50mm or Quark or save a little more for the 60mm. I just can't figure which one to go for :smiley:

You really need them both Rob  :evil:

Dave

Thanks Rob :laugh:

I will definitely do a review and will give you an honest opinion on which is the most stunning, I don't think there will be a massive difference between my 6omm Lunt and the 50mm Lunt so it should be a good guide for you :smiley: 

You know what is bound to happen though, Just to make proceedings difficult, both set ups are bound to have their strengths and weaknesses but I will definitely make a decision based upon if I had to keep one or the other :evil:

Nice one, Shaun and I guess you're right. Both will have their advantages and disadvantages. Such is the way of this cruel, cruel world :grin:

Dave, that is so true, but I can't do it, seriously. I don't know how I'd explain that one :p

I have pulled the trigger on the 32mm TV Plossl, thank you all for the help.

The Brandon looks good Gerry but it is very expensive so I gave it a miss :shocked: but thank you for the info

I will use my 25mm SLV for the other recommended power :laugh: I am sure it will be fine

All I have to do now is wait -- la la la tum tee tum :laugh:

Shane,

I not sure what you mean, but I will try to answer:-

If I used the Quark with my Lunt I guess it would become a double stack because  the blocking filter is the diagonal.... If I swapped to a standard diagonal I guess it would be a single stack. I will be very pleased if I can pop the Quark in the Lunt and it performs like a double stack,.

Its all a bit confused to be honest because, if I used the Quark in my Lunt would I need to warm the quark up ? maybe not ! as there is a tilt tune etalon built into the Lunt. Or will I end up with a double stack double etalon view.

knowing my luck they will all cancel each other out and I will end up with a very expensive finder scope :grin:

I must add I bought the Quark to use with the Equinox 80mm but a little bit of experimenting can only be a good thing.

I will do some swapping about with all 3 setups soon and let you know what happens :laugh:

Cheers mate. I was assuming that if with a lunt 60 double stack you have just one bf in the diagonal you could rely on the bf in the quark and just use a mirror diagonal ind the scope to get a ds.

Not sure it would work though and I would seek advice first.

Shane, I will try the following combinations:-

• Quark - B600 blocking filter - Lunt
  • Quark - B600 blocking Filter - UV/IR filter - Equinox
  • Quark - Standard Diagonal - Lunt
  • Quark - Standard Diagonal - UV/IR filter - Equinox

Should be interesting :laugh:

Cheers Luke  :smiley: It must be the Etalon in the Lunt that is making the difference, very surprising and kind of interesting.

I will be happy with 80mm worth of close up Ha, anything else will be a very welcome bonus :smiley:

Archived