Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Luminos Eye Piece

Geospacial

Your order has already been dispatched so we'll dispatch the Luminos separately, the 25mm X-Cel LX eyepiece and barlow will be with you Monday and the loaned Luminos will arrive 2-3 days later. The nearest equivalent Luminos is the 23mm with 2" nosepiece, does your Newtonian have a 2" focuser?  Just read your earlier post, your Explorer 150p has a 2" focuser and at f5 it is a good telescope for reviewing eyepieces. 

Don't worry about writing a full-on review like John's, just compare the eyepieces and let us know here at SGL in your own words what you like/dislike about them. Please post your thoughts straight to the forum, there is no need to send them to us first, and take your time. Knowing our UK weather you will probably need at least a month :smile:

HTH, 

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for updating me and your generosity in also sending the luminos. It is very much appreciated and I have a list of other things I will order in due course.

It's going to be interesting conversations with the wife when all these parcels turn up next week while I am at work!!

I look forward to receiving the EP's and I will gladly write a review on here telling you what I think. I'm off to read some of John's again so I know what to look for in an eye piece.

Have good weekends everyone!!

Al

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope you enjoy both the X-Cel LS and the Luminos :smiley:

I'll be looking forward to reading your thoughts on them. My only suggestions are to compare them on a few nights and on a variety of different objects before reaching any conclusions.

.....I look forward to receiving the EP's and I will gladly write a review on here telling you what I think. I'm off to read some of John's again so I know what to look for in an eye piece.

Have a look at some of Alan Potts reviews as well - they are good reading :smiley:

Don't worry too much about what you feedback though. The main thing is to enjoy yourself and to call it as you see it :smiley:

Hope you enjoy both the X-Cel LS and the Luminos :smiley:

I'll be looking forward to reading your thoughts on them. My only suggestions are to compare them on a few nights and on a variety of different objects before reaching any conclusions.

Have a look at some of Alan Potts reviews as well - they are good reading :smiley:

Don't worry too much about what you feedback through. The main thing is to enjoy yourself and to call it as you see it :smiley:

Thanks John!!

I've got to find some objects to look at first!! The moon is easy (if it's up!) but I struggle sometimes!!!

The Luminous 10 mm was tested with five other 10 mm ultrawides on an optical bench (by ciel et espace dot fr). It did not come out best, but the reviewers think it would be a good choice for focal ratios of f/7 or slower. 

Bit silly really, not sure why they put it in there when the next cheapest EP was nearly twice the price!

You'd think/hope/expect that the extra money hadn't been spent on improved optics! :D

I too will be looking forward to the review. :)

Gulp........no pressure then!!!!

Don't worry, as John says just enjoy yourself. Every review style is different and you don't have to be super scientific about any of the possible optical issues you might see. Just say it as you see it, you might know what you like and don't like about an eyepiece compared to another after a few good sessions, if not then that's a conclusion all in its self :)  

If I can't find a direct comparison between the ES82's and the Luminos online I might actually buy one myself for review purposes. My little 130pds at f/5 is the fastest scope I have currently so it might have to take the main bulk of the testing though.

You might feel better if you're not the only one testing the Luminos on SGL, safety in numbers and all that :D 

Gulp........no pressure then!!!!

Which Luminos will you try out then? I have the 23mm,10mm and 7mm. Check for little crosses or seagulls at the outer edge of the 23mm (astigmatism). I would try the Pleiades in it, do you have an OIII or can you borrow one? This 23mm shows the Rosette and Monkeyhead nebs very well, worth checking out in and around Gemini, from dark skies.M81,M82 would be a good test for the 10mm and Jupiter/lunar for the 7mm. Have fun, looking forward to your report!

Your scope will give 2.8 deg TFOV with the 23mm, awesome and perfect for the North American neb and Pelican with an OIII.

Which Luminos will you try out then? I have the 23mm,10mm and 7mm. Check for little crosses or seagulls at the outer edge of the 23mm (astigmatism). I would try the Pleiades in it, do you have an OIII or can you borrow one? This 23mm shows the Rosette and Monkeyhead nebs very well, worth checking out in and around Gemini, from dark skies.M81,M82 would be a good test for the 10mm and Jupiter/lunar for the 7mm. Have fun, looking forward to your report!

Your scope will give 2.8 deg TFOV with the 23mm, awesome and perfect for the North American neb and Pelican with an OIII.

More gulps!!!

Steve is sending me the 23mm as I ordered the 25mm x-cel. I know where the Pleiades are, so will look at those.

All I need now is for some clear skies next weekend!!

Not sure if the Luminos are exactly the same as I have the 7,19, 23 and 31 Axioms together with the matching 2.5x Barlow and I would certainly recommend them all.

The image quality, FOV and eye relief are 2nd to none and the engineering quality / feel is superb, just don't drop them on your feet.

I use them on both my CPC925 and 130APO triplet and I'll buy the 10mm and 15mm one day to complete the set.

Thanks Steve, I'll let the wife know to no go out till it arrives.........!

A40, thanks for the little review. Good to know. I think the Luminos are a re-launch of the Axioms, so the quality should be the same.

I think I already know what decision I will make.......and I think it may cost me a bit....

Hi,

I always buy the best gear that I can afford and I recommend others to do the same,  they'll last you forever and top notch optics are always in demand should you wish to sell them one day.

The extra cost spread over 20 to 30 yrs is neither here nor there but the extra pleasure you have from owning and using them will more than make up for the additional outlay.

The FLO test / trial offer is excellent as you can pick the one that best suits your needs and wallet - you can't go wrong.

Regards,

M

My understanding is that the Luminos eyepieces are made to a similar specification to the Axiom LX's but by a different manufacturer. Celestron switched manufacturers when the original one started to market the Axiom LX's under the Explore Scientific branding.

Meade did something similar with their series 5000 UWA eyepieces but did not change the name of the range when they switched manufacturer.

The Luminos are much cheaper than the Axioms were so they might not be quite as good, something must have changed to warrant the price difference? One of the reasons I'm curious about them, plus I like Celestron stuff :)

Thanks Steve, the luminos arrived safe and sound today.

I won't do the review here, I will start a new thread in the correct forum, but what I will say is it's a big beast!!!! It's very solid looking and weighty and you can definitely feel the quality.

I should have clear skies on Friday or Saturday, so I will hopefully have something to report after the weekend........and be able to let Steve know which I am keeping!!

In the mean time, here is a quick snap of the two EP's alongside each other.post-34686-0-42515900-1421260270_thumb.j

Archived