Expanding my Narrowband & Line Filter Range

John

I'm not generally a "heavy" user of filters whether for lunar, planetary or deep sky observing. I've largely been content to use my excellent Astronomik O-III on the DSO's that benefit most from it and have the occasional, and thus far fruitless, search for the Horsehead Nebula with my Lumicon H-Beta filter.

Lately though I've become interested in expanding the options I have in narrowband and line filtering so I've been looking for a complementary companion for the above two filters. The challenge I have is that the Astronomik O-III has a relatively wide band pass width for an O-III so I've had some doubts over what the UHC-type filters that I've considered could offer in terms of extended versatility or more subtle improvements on a wider range of target objects. Pouring over those comparative band pass charts trying to determine the relative merits of coloured lines on a graph can make you goggle eyed after a while !

I've therefore taken the plunge with a used DGM Optics NPB filter, a narrowband filter that seems to attract a lot of praise from knowledgeable folks even when compared to the "big names" of the filter world such Lumicon and Astronomik. 

I also decided to purchase a nice used example of a classic line filter, the Lumicon O-III as well. My objective is to find out which pairing offers the most to me with my range of scopes and often less-than-perfect observing conditions: 

DGM NPB + Astronomik O-III ?

or

DGM NPB + Lumicon O-III ?

or

Will the Astronomik O-III prevail as a highly accomplished "solo artiste" after all ?

or

Will all three filters bring something unique to my little party ?

I've little doubt that each of the filters concerned will be very good in it's own right but how is it as a "team player" ?  :smiley:

Given the conditions we have had lately this may take a little while and I'll need to be systematic about selecting a range of target objects approprate to the coming season, eyepieces that generate effective exit pupils and some criteria to measure in some way what I see through the eyepiece.

Should be an interesting project :smiley:

NB: The Lumicon H-Beta is staying on by the way. One of my new years resolutions is to get me and my 12" dob to a dark site at some point to give me more of a fighting chance of lassoing that horses head :wink:

Hi John,

I look forward to reading your findings, although I agree it may take you some time  :laugh:  , no slight intended. I am only just starting along the path of visual filters, having ordered a Lumicon UHC filter after Scoot posting the very helpful information that Lumicon had an offer of free international postage as well as 25% discount :grin: .  I thought that i would start gently rather than jumping in and getting an O-III, which does seem to give excellent result, albeit on fewer targets.

Ian

I look foward to the report John, I am thinking of adding a filter or two as I have almost run out of eyepieces to buy. One I may well buy is the H beta as I feel the new 18 inch will show this though with Dobsonains being new to me it might take me years to accually find it.

Alan

I have tried a number of filters over the years with some better than others in my opinion. I much prefer my Skywatcher UHC over the Baader UHC which I rarely use. I then bought the Skywatcher OIII which I soon sold and replaced it with a TS OIII which was far better in bringing out detail. I now have an Astronomik OIII which again I like because I am still able to view stars in the FOV.

John you will know that I have a Thousand Oaks H.Beta which I know people say its on a par with the Lumicon but I have never seen the Horse Head or California Neb on any of my scopes with this filter. I am pleased to say that I have viewed the HH and that was with an Astronomik H.Beta on a 16" Dob at Lucksall.

So hopefully you will get some clear skies to do your assessment - do you need to drive far to get a really dark site?  I still hope that we get some clear spells at SGLX so we can have another go at the HH.

I have APM bought, but unbranded H-beta, O-III and UHC filters. The first I use rarely (HH only so far) the other two sit in my filter-switch diagonal almost permanently. Generally the UHC is better on many targets, and is my first choice, but some do better in the O-III. I am curious about the differences with the top-end filters. Might want to invest in them at some time. Looking forward to your comparison

I ought to add that I'm not in any way unhappy with the Astronomik O-III. It's a brilliant filter and by far the best I've owned and used to date. I've owned lower cost UHC's and O-III's by Telescope Services, Orion (USA) and Baader but the Astronomik is superb :smiley:

I ought to add that I'm not in any way unhappy with the Astronomik O-III. It's a brilliant filter and by far the best I've owned and used to date. I've owned lower cost UHC's and O-III's by Telescope Services, Orion (USA) and Baader but the Astronomik is superb :smiley:

I fully concur. As a certifiable Filter-Nut, I have about 4 different OIII filters - including the Astronomik. And that's my favorite one, too. A very nice hunk of glass it is!

I thought I'd toss out another filter, in light of the interest in C/2014 Q2 Comet Lovejoy. It seems to me that folks are getting more and more interested in the many comets that can be found these days. So one might consider looking into the SWAN-Filter. It's a specific for bringing out details in a comet that has a gaseous composition - especially in the tail:

http://www.lumicon.com/store/c/32-Comet-Filters.aspx

These beasts are quite rare. I've met very few people who have one, or looked through one. But they do help bring out qute a bit of detail by selecting the cyanogen-band of our long-tailed neighbors. Cyanogen is a funky molecule. It is, by itself, a very reactive molecule that loves to bond with other molecules. As it's composed of just carbon and nitrogen, it has been proposed to be responsible for comets possibly bringing the seeds for life to planets. Funky as by itself - it's the simplest cyanide. And would take away your life if you inhaled it.

Clear Skies & Cosmic Cyanide,

Dave

Dave,

Not the first time I have seen it on the Lumicon site but it is for sure not the sort of thing that I can get in my corner shop. Lumicon and Astronomk know how to charge, they are expensive even for you. I believe the sales would go well if we were to get another really bright comet, tonight Lovejoy had it's very own private cloud that would not move away, it tracked it for 90 minutes at which I gave up due to cold.

Alan.

Archived