Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Complete obsy from Avalon

perfrej

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice for remote imaging though :)  Though come to think of it, if that's fully open the sides don't go down very far and could limit low elevation imaging. :(  Hmmm...  Not so wonderful then - I was expecting better :grin:

Hard to see if it would go lower (I would hope it does). I wonder how it anchors or if the mount is independant of the sides? I would imagine there'd be a bit of buffeting in.a bit of wind. For £13k i'd want it to be completely issue free and even then I'd struggle justifying the money. But then again, I don't own a gaggle of high end mounts :D

Can't use it much up here anyway in the winter-time. First open after snowfall and you fill the thing up with snow. I like the concept, though, even if it is difficult to make a product that fits many usage scenarios.

Perhaps someone instead should make a bunch of component parts, like roof rails cut to length, flaps actuators etc. Hmmm...

/per

Isn't having a central seal, right over the instruments, a bit optimistic? A twig could blow in and stop it closing, etc.

I feel closed should be closed, no seals, no joints, just one continuous covering surface.

Such a thing could be added, a kind of second 'flysheet' cover layer which would also shift of snow.

Olly

• 1 month later...

Somewhere, and perhaps even in the DIY section here, I have seen a full-size shed with a roof very much along those lines, balanced by counterweights.  And very neat it looked too.  It's just a shame I can never find the link when I want it :(

James

Somewhere, and perhaps even in the DIY section here, I have seen a full-size shed with a roof very much along those lines, balanced by counterweights.  And very neat it looked too.  It's just a shame I can never find the link when I want it :(

James

I remember seen maybe the same shed, i will begin a search.......:)

Please do post it if you find it.  I'd love to see the pictures of it again.  I don't particularly want or need to build one like it, but it was a very nicely executed build and an ingenious way of solving the problems that usually beset obsy builders in small family gardens.

All I can remember was that the shed owner had very limited space and not really enough for a roll-off roof, so he'd built a standard type shed with the gables forming an arc at the top rather than coming to a point in an triangle.  Kind of like a traditional train carriage or shepherd's hut shape, if you see what I mean.  The roof was then at least partially supported on counter-weighted timbers that pivoted at the centre of the roof arc, allowing the entire roof to be slid off into quite a small space to one side of the shed (perhaps into a couple of feet of space between the shed and a garden fence?).

James

Archived