Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

40mm EP advice please

alfingido

After buying my LX90 and a few eyepieces, I am looking for a good 40mm, but its been some years since I last used a telescope and even more since I had a 40mm, so I am lost!

So, looking for recommendations that will work well in my 8" SCT.

First thought was an Explore Scientific 40mm 68deg, or is this over spending?

Allan

Assuming that ES 68deg is of the same quality of their other eyepieces in this catagory, it should be very good, I reckon. you should understand that over 1.2 kg is not a light eyepiece.

I regularly use the sw aero and is one of my favorites,very good ep,if a little heavy

Aero is my heaviest eyepiece, 525gram on my scale :smiley: , very good for the money. Comparing to other 40mm eyepieces, Aero is feather light actually.

As you are using an SCT it will be more forgivimng on eyepiece quality. So you don't need to go out getting very expensive brand names if you don't want to/have the cash for them. I used a 33mm version of this when I had an SCT http://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics-eyepieces/william-optics-swan-eyepiece.html under £100 and the views were excellent in the SCT. Very well corrected, very good eye relief, 70 degree FOV and relatively light weight at only 570gm. A very good option if yyou are on a budget.

I have the 41mm Panoptic and it vignettes slightly on my LX scope. The 40mm Maxvision or the same Meade iv a very good choice, there was a 40mm on the classified a few weeks back, they do not move so fast so it may still be available.  Yours choice of the ExSc is the same eyepiece in a different skirt.

If you cannot see the Maxvision on the sales area PM me and I will let you know who was selling it.

Alan

I didn't realise the ES 40 was so heavy, 1.2kg is a lot of weight to put on the back of the ota, especially as I am thinking of putting a crayford style focuser on there. I couldn't find the ad for the 40mm in the classifieds, but, if its as heavy as the ES, I don't really mind. Thanks for the info on the SW aero, I didn't realise it was a clone of the TMB, I have had a couple of those in the past and been very impressed, so I have just ordered an aero 40mm. I have read a few reviews of it too and it seems to do all I want.

Thanks all

Allan

Archived