help with new telescope

lenz

Cannot really dig out much on the scope, not helped as I suspect there are 2 variants of them.

Sounds odd but grab a tape and measure the actual length of the tube and post the value in a reply.

I think that some of the designs used a short tube and a barlow.

Also what eyepieces did you get with it and the focal length of them.

Are you talking about something like this ...

400-427.jpg

or something like this? ...

post-34576-133877746168.jpg

The second of those telescopes is quite a lot of tube for a small mount so if you have a high magnification with that it will be difficult to keep stable, on the other hand the first design often has extra glass in the focusser which degrades performance.

What eyepiece are you using?  For example a 4mm eyepiece with that would give a magnification of 250x which is optimistic and would show up any instability in the mount. If the mount is wobbling or unstable then adding extra weight to the legs can help stabilise it. I would suggest starting with the lowest magnification eye piece you have available and only moving up in magnification once it is stable. Typically those sorts of telescopes come with a 25mm, 10mm and often 4mm eyepiece. The 25mm will give the lowest magnification but will be the easiest to use.

The other thing you can do is try to find a local astronomical society. If you can then you will probably find someone who is more than willing to give you some hands on assistance.

Some tips to make things a little easier: -

Have a look at the videos here: -  http://eyesonthesky.com/Videos.aspx

The finderscope needs to be aligned with the main scope, this process needs to be repeated with targets that are further away in turn so the alignment between the two is accurate.  Makes it easier to find objects.

Setup in daylight if possible before a viewing session, the scope cools down as well, so it will perform better.

Keep the tripod legs low if you can to aid stability.

The learning curve is very steep at first so press on.  You will gain experience & confidence, setting up will become more easy the more times you do it. 

Try & go to a meeting of your local astronomy group if possible.  Some very friendly & helpful people there.

Been stargazing now for 22 months & I still consider myself a newbie.  It does get easier & more rewarding with time.

Use the eyepiece with the largest number on it - if you have 10mm & 25mm for example use the 25mm, it is a lower magnification eyepiece & the target will stay in view longer & give you more time to focus.

Try & keep as light a touch as possible on the scope & focuser etc.

Setup in a sheltered place if possible so that wind does not catch the scope.

Clear Skies

Fondofchips.

Hi - 114 mm is fine for great views of Saturn and Jupiter - I relied for a bit on an old spherical set-up d 110 mm reflector that was surprisingly good at showing the rings of Saturn to everyone's delight - best wishes Tony

Archived