Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finder

I just want to now what are your experiences with finders - optical finders, anything like Telrad and with green lasers. What do you prefer?

I only have experience with my 6*30 straight true finder. It is a little hard when you search objects in zenith, but you approximately now where you point in the sky. It is not bad but I don't have anything for comparing.

Thanks for input :lol:.

Saso

I like my red-dot finder, but there are some circumstances where an optical finder cuts through the haze to what you want to see. Green lasers are said to be good, but are banned at most star parties because they interfere with people's astrophotography, and there have been some irresponsible users of them.

I sometimes put in my 32mm ep, and use the scope as a 30x114 finder.

IMHO, you should have two:

A 1x laser-finder for quick finding of bright objects and a conventional straight magnifying finder such as an 8x50 for more accurate pointing.

A good tip for the latter is to use the both-eyes-open method where both the actual sky, seen thru one eye, can be seen together with the magnified finder scope image, seen thru the other eye... It takes practise and not everyone can do it.

One more thing: TAL finder scopes are fantastic! (The Russians put as much effort into their finder scopes as other manufacturers do in their telescopes).

Steve

Like most I use two finders, a straight through 9x50 optical and a red dot finder. The zero power finders (red dot, Telrad) are good to a point but as pointed out, you need an optical finder for more precise object locating.

Agree with Steve regards Russian finderscopes. The 12x55 on the Intes was a work of art, fully multi coated air spaced doublet with a fully baffled tube and dew shield....nice!

Russ

I was really struggling with finding objects with my newly acquired Tal1 on Saturday. Looking for M81/82 in Ursa Major I could visualise exactly where they should be and could just about make them out with bins but the finder scope revealed very little. It was dewing up but this was cured by a hair dryer. I think the main problem was probably the impossible angle I was working at. It seems so awkward to use a guide scope for anything at all high in the sky on the Tal. Presumably a red dot finder gets around this problem.

Martin

The only trouble with a red dot, taking M81/82 as an example, you can only point in the rough direction. There's nothing bright nearby to nail them. But in the optical finder there's a distinct pattern of stars to hop from.

If i'm on a deep sky hunt, I only use the optical finder but for everything else the red dot is perfect.

btw Antares do a nice 8x50 right angled finder that makes the high bits easier. Scopes'n'skies do it for a reasonable sum.

Russ

Thanks again for all your answers. :lol:

I decided to buy red dot finder in future, but I wait for review of Galileo electronic finder to decide which one I buy. It is not bad to orient with brightest stars because in optical finder is sometimes to many stars with similar magnitude and I'm not sure which one is right. I'm beginner so I think this finder would help me a lot.

Saso

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I just bought Telrad finder. But I have one problem, not with Telrad but with my eyes I think. When I look trough Telrad with lights on I see three sharp circles, but when I switch lights off in a few seconds this sharp circles become blur and I also see maybe 3 images for each original circles from Telrad. Of course when I switch lights off I also dim Telrad image but that is not helpful. Anyone have experience like this?

Saso

Archived