Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need help with barlow decision

AlphaOrionis

I'm slowly getting interested in astronomy, and after enjoying/learning the night sky for about a year now with a good pair of binoculars, I decided to buy a starblast 4.5. The reason for such a small and cheap telescope is because I live downtown and I decided to buy myself a big 10'' later, but for now all I can really use is something I can carry around to a park at night. 

That said, I'm having a pretty big debate about how much I should be spending on a barlow for such a cheap telescope. My original idea was to just get an Orion Shorty 2x, but Ive read around that its pretty cheap and nothing compared to the Shorty Plus, which is impossible to find. Right now Im looking at the TeleVue 2x 1.25" and im wondering if its worth 125$. 

My question is, will I actually see a difference? For 60$ I can get the standard shorty. Does the cheap starblast 4.5 scope counter the pro's of getting a good barlow? 

Thanks ahead of time!

Both of your queries are answered here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/229445-big-barlow-in-small-refactor-is-this-a-no-no/

What it truly boils down to is this question: Do you wish this to be your first Barlow? Or the last Barlow you'll ever need to consider buying? I suggest approaching your purchase from the second one: Make this your last Barlow because their really is no 'up' from there.

Clear Skies & Welcome to SGL!

Dave

Welcome to SGL and I would say the Powermate is as good as it gets. I have however used a Meade tele-extender which was as good and a lot less money. I am a bit of an eyepiece snob, I like nice gear, but the Meade item would sit nicely in anyones equipment. I am almost sure the Bresser Tele-extender is the exact same thing, I believe the Meade stock got rebranded when troubles like running aground happened.

So my advice is either one of them.

Alan

Archived