NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please read then read again before you advise

bomberbaz

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree that bino's are a great starting point you can also get amazing views through a budget scope so long as you avoid the dodgey ones and you are willing to put the effort in to learn how to use it.

So long as you make people aware that it will be more difficult I don't see the harm in advising on a budget scope.

This image I took through a scope that cost less than £70 brand new using the mount that came with it. Granted the camera costs far more than the scope but it gives you an idea of the optical quality. Obviously if you picked up a scope like tis second hand it would be very cheap but able to give decent views.

60d6524ec81bb96d34ec382388c6e2b6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a good point, Steve. In my old age I probably drift off at tangents, but I do try to stay focused and offer advice that I think will help and that I inturn would have liked to receive. I guess that's the best any of us can do  :smiley: 

Guilty as charged.

My worst offence was when I spent 10-minutes drafting a short reply about a 2x barlow,

I re-read the question properly, and the OP was asking for advice regarding a 2-inch 2x Barlow.

Dooohhhh.

Thank goodness for the edit button.

Having read all the posts carefully. I must agree that some times things do drift away from the op's question. I have noticed lately mods flagging thread at risk of being locked. I presume that mods read most if not all posts. So as to be considerate to an OP whose post has gone astray, where their question warrants further help, could a mod not politely add a reply noting that things have gone off topic. This may not be so regularly required as some times the OP gives little feed back or does not reply to request for further information.

TBH Paul we do read a lot of posts between us but we can't read every single one.

Only threads on touchy subjects that have a history of going sour do we flag up as risk of closure. For the main part we do try and moderate as invisibly and as little as possible, preferring the members to keep things on track themselves.

We do try to maintain a healthy balance of steering wayward threads and leaving the forum to run itself as we feel this is best for everyone. 

I hope we are getting this balance about right.

I always suggest binos as they are a quick way to get going with a small layout nothing worse than spending hundred s of hard earnt cash to find it's not for you every I no observe with as a pair,and they great to run out side with and have a quick look and as always they a great way to learn your way around

Pat

I have a very good reason to not recommend binoculars for people with a limited budget. As we all know - aperture-fever is a common ailment for us astro-heads. And we are likely to be needing a support for the bino's. And here's the reason against:

http://www.telescope.com/Binoculars/Binocular-Accessories/Orion-Monster-Parallelogram-Binocular-Mount-amp-Tripod/pc/-1/c/5/sc/75/p/103106.uts

My work here is done.....

Dave :evil::grin:

Often the OP's don't give enough information and the common lazy reply is therefore stock answers. I would add that I have seen many carefully crafted replies which draw out the information needed in order to make a decent recommendation and that is what I love about this forum. With regards to the Delos that reminds me of an old 1980's IT saying "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM"

Archived