NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

eq6 is big

I've just been round to my sons house to.see his 200p on new synscan eq6 mount. Blimey it's chunky. What on earth does an eq8 look like? I can see why people have these set up on permanent sites. However I'm fostering his old eq5 until he finds a new use for it. Ever the scav me.

I,m thinking of upgrading to a neq6 are they that big and or heavy compared to a cg5/eq5? 

It's quite a bit heavier than both of those and the HEQ5, but I own one and managed to take it to camp with me for a couple of years and I am a retired female, so any fit man ought to be able to manage it.  I've only replaced it for camps with an HEQ5 because I got fed up with de-rigging and having to re-polar align the NEQ6 which now stays in the obsy.  

Carole 

If you're not putting anything too heavy on it, I prefer the HEQ5 for its lighter weight. We had an NEQ6 and a HEQ5 and had to downsize to one mount. We kept the HEQ5, partly in case my other half needed to move the mount by herself. She can move the HEQ5 fine, she would not touch the NEQ6.

Sure, I could move the NEQ6, but I prefer moving the HEQ5! The one thing I am not so mad about the HEQ5 is the legs - wider footprint and higher minimum height than the NEQ6's. So we put a Hal 130 tripod on instead for the HEQ5, very nice!

Sure, I could move the NEQ6, but I prefer moving the HEQ5! The one thing I am not so mad about the HEQ5 is the legs - wider footprint and higher minimum height than the NEQ6's. So we put a Hal 130 tripod on instead for the HEQ5, very nice!

Hmmm, I wonder if I get a spare Alt/Az Rod for the currently redundant NEQ6 tripod whether that would fit the HEQ5, any-one know?  I have a feeling it won't because different pier adapters are used for NEQ6 and HEQ5 - I think!

Carole 

Hmmm, I wonder if I get a spare Alt/Az Rod for the currently redundant NEQ6 tripod whether that would fit the HEQ5, any-one know?  I have a feeling it won't because different pier adapters are used for NEQ6 and HEQ5 - I think!

Carole 

They are different sizes. Very annoying infact.

A.G

Archived