Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how to keep SCT?

hi..

i am very newbee in this field. and wonder what kind of position do you use to keep or store SCT 8" at home.

in my case, just let stand reflector to see ground. 

and my mount is Celestron AVX. sometime i mounts SCT on AVX 2~3 days.

Am i doing well? is ok to mount all days?

please share your case.

thanks in advance!

I store mine with the corrector plate end on the ground, and mirror end in the air. And make sure there is something blocking the visual back so things don't get inside.

I can't see a problem with leaving it mounted on the mount as long as it is secure and dry.

James

I keep mine level in my home-brew flight case. It has loads of silica-gel packets in it to keep it dry. This set-up has worked for 19 years so far.

yep thats just what i do with my C9.25 in my obsy. home made MDF box, lots of silica gel bags, box doubles up as a desk in the obsy!

hi all...

thanks for reply.

i store my SCT exactly like as jambouk.

i was wonder if secondary mirror could detach and distroy glass.

if primary-Mirror's weight didn't affect product's life, i should keep going on.

thanks again all.

The SCT is a sealed tube, (with the visual back closed, so dust usually isn't an issue.

But if it is an option, Attic storage 1 basement 0.... I have serviced so many scopes with Mold and Fungus on the Correctors and

Mirrors it is crazy. Every single one had been stored in the basement.

Most Old C8's have a haze inside fro the grease outgassing.

I keep my scopes looking up at an attractive 30° angle.

With all those eyepieces going in and out, the diagonal needs regular cleaning, which I don't do after every use. I reckon there's dust on it even now. I wouldn't want anything on the diagonal ending up deeper inside the telescope.

I always remove the diagonal (in part because t he scope would not fit inside the flight case otherwise). I do not clean optics regularly. I do blow the dust gun through the diagonal occasionally, but that is a rare occurrence. The damage you could do by cleaning far outweighs the effect of a little dust

Archived