NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another Biggish Dob Ugrade Thread.....

It can be a bit conditions dependent; I have driven there sometimes to feel a bit disappointed. In August (on the 20 somethingth), it wasn't as dark as I've seen it, but I was able to get good views of a lot of nebulae nonetheless (thanks, filter). The Helix, Saturn, and Gamma Cygni Nebula (a surprise!) were high-points. I didn't manage the Crescent, though; that had to wait for a trip to the Brecons with a crystal clear night.

However, at a similar time last year it was so clear I couldn't navigate; too many stars, and I'd been without light for hours, so my eyes must've been like a bushbaby's. The Veil was awesome in my 130p that time (though no Pickering's Wisp was visible).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I currently use a 10 inch dob and 16 inch dob. The 10 I feel is almost no effort to move, the 16 is a bit of a handful without handles on it, so I think you are going the right route. I don't know what mag I can see from home. My skies I would say are okay, a few pesky lamposts shine into our garden, ho hum. We can just about see the Milky Way at home, though we are a long way off the darkness at the Kelling Star Party or SGL star party.

We used to take a 12 inch dob to Kelling, and we got better views there of course than at home. "Wouldn't it be lovely to have views as good as that at home?" we thought. So we got a 16 inch dob. For me, the 16 inch at home outperforms our 12 inch dob at Kelling, which was better than expected and made us very happy! But I guess it depends on what your skies are like.

M51's spiral structure is up another level compared to 10 or 12 inch, M82 shows a fair bit more structure, it is up another level too. The main galaxies in Leo show considerably more structure and feel like they have more character. Globular cluster, just wow.

All this said, I agree with John. As much as I love astro, it is a hobby, and in a way for me it's now more about having fun than having the best view. So I was okay to just take a little 60mm scope on hols for a quick look, and though of course it can't match the 16 inch dob generally, I in a way had almost as much fun.

So I think you are going absolutely the right way, with the doors, handles, to keep the hassle low, so you can focus on the fun bit :)

We have the 400P goto, I am nearly six foot six and can just about get away without using a step ladder. My partner in crime requires steps.

Good luck choosing the right scope for you!

TBH I'm not sure I do agree with John on this. 

I don't see one or two nights a month as it being any more than just a hobby.

I don't see a couple  of nights a month as abandoning my family either. 

Its simply a different way of pursuing it. If one wishes to only observe at home thats fine obviously, but those of us that choose to go to dark skies are certainly not losing sight of it being just a hobby. 

For example I've not bought an eyepiece in over two years how many others can say that? Are those that spend money frequently taking from their children's inheritance ..........of coarse not. its just a hobby ;)

My two pennyworth:

I bought my 350 Dob (s/hand from SGL classifieds)  to get more aperture compared with the 925 SCT. I was warned that in my town garden with moderate LP I wouldn't see a dramatic difference. Of course I didn't believe them but they were right!

However, I don't regret the purchase because:

1. Its ease set of set up: I keep it in the garage on a trolley that I bought from B&Q a few years back when I was doing some hard landscaping in the garden. I can wheel it out in minutes (my son calls it the trundlescope!) and be observing straight away without the need for setting up my other very heavy mount with electrics etc.

2. There are differences. Not dramatic but the Veil for example is a revelation compared with the SCT (filter used for both). Spectacular objects such as M13 look even more spectacular. I have seen M74 which I can't with the SCT  etc etc

3. Collimation is easy. I do a quick set up with a laser collimator and then refine this with the Barlow method.

4. Finding things without Goto is great fun

5. It is portable in an average sized car. I have not yet been to a dark site with it but plan to this winter, but when I bought it I sat the scope on the front seat (complete with seat belt on!) and the base went in the boot in a couple of bits. It would only take a few minutes to assemble.

BTW the trolley does raise the overall height a bit but I use one of those cheap plastic stool things when the eyepiece is a bit high. For some reason my wife finds the sight of me on the stool very amusing!

Previously I always doubts that a Dob was for me - especially for my first love the planets, but I've had a lot of fun with it since getting it in February and am now a confirmed Dob lover

Go for it

Kerry 

Thanks Guys

I'll aim for a 16" SW or may consider a Lightbridge depending on price / level of modding required.

What Luke and Kerry discribe is just the sort of observing that I am after.!!

Not that I'm ruling out the odd dark sky excursion, but it will be very much the exception to be savoured as much for the company as the view.

At least I know what I am aiming for now.

Paul

My understanding is that you live in a village and that your skies are fairly dark. In such circumstances along with others who have commented as having fairly good conditions from home, I can understand why observing from home is the primary interest and that occasional trips to a more appreciatively dark sky venue would be secondary.  So as long as portability is doable for those occasions, then the bigger aperture is logical. I live in a city and so from my own perspective the priority is to venture out on dark sky trips 95% of the time. The downside to this is that it only comes about occasionally and so I have got into the habit of impromptu sessions much closer to home with my binoculars. Family do come first of course, fortunately for myself, my Wife and teenage daughter are quite happy for me in indulge in my hobby and occasionally disappear for a few hours at night. 

TBH I'm not sure I do agree with John on this. 

I don't see one or two nights a month as it being any more than just a hobby.

I don't see a couple  of nights a month as abandoning my family either. 

Its simply a different way of pursuing it. If one wishes to only observe at home thats fine obviously, but those of us that choose to go to dark skies are certainly not losing sight of it being just a hobby. 

For example I've not bought an eyepiece in over two years how many others can say that? Are those that spend money frequently taking from their children's inheritance ..........of coarse not. its just a hobby ;)

I've 100% respect for the way you want to undertake astronomy Steve, and everybody else too :smiley:

I think we each devise our own way to approach it taking into account a whole load of things. If it works and puts a smile on your face thats what matters :smiley:

My understanding is that you live in a village and that your skies are fairly dark. In such circumstances along with others who have commented as having fairly good conditions from home, I can understand why observing from home is the primary interest and that occasional trips to a more appreciatively dark sky venue would be secondary.  So as long as portability is doable for those occasions, then the bigger aperture is logical. I live in a city and so from my own perspective the priority is to venture out on dark sky trips 95% of the time. The downside to this is that it only comes about occasionally and so I have got into the habit of impromptu sessions much closer to home with my binoculars. Family do come first of course, fortunately for myself, my Wife and teenage daughter are quite happy for me in indulge in my hobby and occasionally disappear for a few hours at night. 

...cant beat that "setting the scope up Dear".....and then hopping over the fence to go down the pub! :evil6:

...cant beat that "setting the scope up Dear".....and then hopping over the fence to go down the pub! :evil6:

'Unfortunately' and due to cloudy circumstances of course, occasionally hopping down to the pub is an appreciable plan B.

Archived