ETHOS to pull the trigger?

Daniel-K

Im in  bit of a conundrum. i have  23mm celestron axiom lx which i love and get on really well with. now in my new 16" F4.5 do i off load the 12mm T4 and get  10E or keep the 12mmT4 and get the 17E or just have a 23mm 12mm T4 & 8E? tooooo many variables. i need help  

Hmmm, I have an F4.4 16 inch (Skywatcher 400P). Get a 21mm Ethos.  :evil:  I don't even like wide eyepieces that much, and it's my favourite EP. Almost as wide a view as the 35mm Panoptic or 31mm Nagler but with a lower exit pupil. I supposedly like medium power EP's the most...

and the problem is that 23 is now dead,the 12 nag is on its death bed as the 13E is possibly the best ep ever made and powermating that to 6.5mm is fantastic,oh yeah you've got a conundrum....lookin through these things in bigish dobs melts your eyes,wallet and all common sense in thinking that "you don't need them" and yes you don't but my goodness don't them views stick....

and the problem is that 23 is now dead,the 12 nag is on its death bed as the 13E is possibly the best ep ever made and powermating that to 6.5mm is fantastic,oh yeah you've got a conundrum....lookin through these things in bigish dobs melts your eyes,wallet and all common sense in thinking that "you don't need them" and yes you don't but my goodness don't them views stick....

You lot really are a nasty bunch of spend other peoples moneyers, aren't you :evil: Oh to have that conundrum, well I would, but it does not really bother me cos I can't afford it!!!

Ian

You lot really are a nasty bunch of spend other peoples moneyers, aren't you :evil: Oh to have that conundrum, well I would, but it does not really bother me cos I can't afford it!!!

Ian

I think we are lucky that there is a wide spread of choice and some very good EP's at far less cost than the Ethos, I have no plans to sell my 9mm TS HR planetary, it runs an 8mm Radian close on on-axis sharpness in my view and is lighter  :cool: No plans to sell the 8mm Radian either! :)

Sorry Cal I disagree regarding the 12mm Nagler. your 13mm Ethos did far from put it on its death bed to me. it actually confirmed what I had thought for a long time................I don't want, or even feel the need for the 13mm Ethos. I still have absolutely no intention of buying this "best eyepiece". ;)

Dan, the 21mm is superb for nebulae, offering contrast like no other with the OIII's, the Crescent is a "test" for conditions and the test always uses the 21E/Astronomik OIII. @ f4.5 it will be a bit better than my f4.8. If TV made a 28mm-30mm Ethos, I would buy one immediately for the extra FOV/exit pupil and great coatings and glass. To my eyes the Ethos exhibit the "globe effect" and "rolling eye" when panning, caused by their type of chosen distortion. IMHO this is a small tradeoff for the views...

I can only imagine how much you will see with these EP's given your extensive viewing experience and the new scope

Dan,

I am not sure what to recommend but what I would say is whilst Ethos's are superb eyepieces don't forget the humble Naglers at 82 degrees, I still have a few of them and they are outstanding eyepieces and don't forget some of them offer better eye-relief than any Ethos.

Alan

Yes alan but I have tried a 21E 13E 10E &8E and I have fell head over heels for them. With regards to ER for me it is perfect. I have a 12mm T4 ATM and cant really get on with it,a real shame as these are rated highly.

Yes alan but I have tried a 21E 13E 10E &8E and I have fell head over heels for them. With regards to ER for me it is perfect. I have a 12mm T4 ATM and cant really get on with it,a real shame as these are rated highly.

Yes I did and ended up buying them all down to the 8mm (oh and a 2x powermate). Never regretted it for one moment. They are so versatile.

Archived