Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW EQ8 any thoughts?

Geordie mc

I have pondered for some time why the CGE Pro is not seen more often with imagers but not had much information to read up on it.

So have I... 

The CGE-PRO does sell and owners are pleased but it is nowhere near as popular here in the UK as it is in the US. 

The CGEM got off to a bumpy start. The mount is good but for a long time its firmware could not handle errors due to cogging which was intensely frustrating. They did eventually get on top of the problem with a firmware update but it was too late for many owners and the CGEM now has competition from the Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT. 

HTH, 

Steve

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting point Steve, I was aware of the firmware issue on the cgem, I loved the older CGE I had that was a rock solid mount only drawback is mechanically not been able to go over the meridian, it had little upgrades to solve the other cable and aligment issues.

Thinking ahead to next year when I hope to get a new mount with thoughts to having a permanent setup in a pulsar or pod dome, I have been looking at the new SW mount. Has anyone tried the EQ8? It seems to have some good features and looks very solid. Any alternatives for around the same price? Looking to use it for imaging but don't have the budget for some of the more expensive models. Thanks.

You may wish to consider the i-Optron CEM 60 too. It seems to get quite good reviews and there is also a version with Encoders if you don't feel like guiding.

A.G

PS: As far as SW mounts are concenred I think that the AZ-EQ6 is the bargain of the lot.

I notice nobody seems to be favouring celestrons CGEM mount or it's pro version (again rather too expensive for me). Perhaps I haven't been clear on my exact intentions. I would like a mount I can put on a pier in a permanent setup. I can use my existing refractors for dso imaging but would like a longer fl scope such as the C11 for lunar and planetary work. I really wondered if the EQ8 offered any advantages over the EQ6 pro or CGEM mounts for this. It would appear not to. Would appreciate any comments from CGEM owners about its performance as it's only slightly more expensive than the EQ6. If I went with either of these I might have funds for a bigger or better scope. The CGEM seems to have a lot of good features for imaging with shorter fl scopes (permanent pec training for example). Your thoughts are most appreciated.

If your going to image with the short refractors for DSOs and then lunar/planetary with a C11 then you should be just fine with the EQ8. You could in fact have everything loaded at once and never have to take any of it off. Just switch targets and switch to the other camera and keep imaging. I saw an EQ8 set up that had 2 8" SCTs, 100mm or 120mm refractor, 80mm guide scope and 50mm finder scope all on it at once for DSO imaging. All 3 scopes had their own seperate CCD/filter set to. Was imagining with reducer on the SCTs (so 1300mm fl instead of 2000mm) but was still doing 20min subs with all that on there. Pretty darn impressive if you arent wanting to imaging at really long FL.

Found a picture of the setup I was talking about. Its a pretty beastly setup up to do AP with. If you don't need the crazy accurate tracking, like you do with long FL scopes, the EQ8 can go a loooong way for you. I know Gina has posted several picture of her setup on her EQ8 (mostly in the DIY section). I think she has a MN190 and two 80mm(ish) refractors on it. Not sure what length of exposures she gets but if i remember right its at least 20min subs.

Edit: Oh and its a 130mm refractor on top not the 100-120mm i said in the other post.

post-16716-0-86564900-1415189831.jpg

Good grief that's impressive load carrying. I'll take a look at Gina's setup too. Just been looking into the ioptron cem60. Looks good. Like the USB and 12v ports. Could keep things tangle free and good pec recording and encoder features too. Saying that the new Skywatcher AZ EQ6 GT looks excellent as well. Nothing's ever simple in this hobby is it?

I'm in the market for an EQ8 because of its high load capacity.  It will be my visual/planetary/solar/double star imaging set up.  I have now realised that for long exposure there is no replacement to a quality (almost always = expensive) mount unless I want to spend 50% of my time tinkering with its mechanics.  With the (very) few clear nights a year we get here in the UK, I don't want to be doing that and I don't want be tossing frames because of random incidents.  My AP1100GTO is 100% reliable.  The mount completely disappears into the background - I don't need to worry about it.

As for the other mounts mentioned in this thread, none have the price/load capacity ratio of the EQ8.  They are either older and more expensive (Tak, AP900) or newer and very interesting but yet unproven and carry less (CEM60).

Good luck to the OP with his final choice.  At least he is now making a much more informed decision.

Roberto

Just found this YouTube video on the ioptron cem60. Amazing payload on it (more than is sensible one thinks) and very quiet. Not sure how to put a link in here from my ipad but search cem60 maximum payload test should get you there.

Archived