NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Veil from very light polluted area

bish

Hello all,

I've just been out for a while with my new MV 24m 68. It replaces my old 26mm plossl (which I'm now keeping for my grab n go set up). I am very impressed with the MV - very nice ep to use.

Now to the point! The veil is one of my favourite DSO's, but only really from a dark site in the past, as my orange sky is so bad.

A while back I did try my LPR with the 26mm and thought I could just make out a hint of contrast where it should be, but couldn't be 100% sure. Tonight, with the MV + UHC(and the veil overhead) I could definitely see the arc shape of the veil with no doubt. M27 was much brighter with the UHC, as was M57 as you would expect. Nice to know I can see the veil from light polluted area, but can't wait to get the UHC under a dark sky.

Yes I need the UHC to see the veil. I was looking at it this evening, I wouldn't be able to see a thing without the filter. Even with it I can never make out the bit below 52cyg in the western veil. The furthest Eastern veil is much clearer but I can't see in between the two from home.

While a UHC will show it, an O-III is definitely the filter of choice for the Veil IMHO. It's such a great object, or set of objects really, that I reckon it's worth the price of the filter just to be able to view it well.

First time I saw it was from Greater London with a UHC - it was cool but underwhelming. Second time was through a smaller telescope but under pristine dark skies and I was blown away by the amount of detail I could get. I'm itching to get my Dobsonian out under dark skies next summer/autumn to have a second dark sky crack at it!

DD

The veil under a dark sky with a filter is one of the DSO's you can spend a long time looking at. Even through my old 6" with a filter it was excellent, but with the bigger scopes it was almost photographic. Been my favourite DSO ever since - even just getting a hint from the back garden

Lovely report. A UHC filter is a great help for emission nebulae like the Veil, as is a neat wide angle EP like the superb little 24mm MV 68 deg. I have used UHC to great effect to get a number of faint nebulae from not-too-bad-but-still-suburban skies, including the Cave, Crescent and California. UHC was also instrumental in picking out the shape of the Pelican under good skies in France. Very useful piece of kit

• 2 weeks later...

Great image. Was this taken from Birmingham?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes this was taken at my home location in Birmingham under very light polluted skies. I also have 3 sodium lights immediately under the imaging target so this really shows what narrow band filters can do for anybody with light polluted skies.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes this was taken at my home location in Birmingham under very light polluted skies. I also have 3 sodium lights immediately under the imaging target so this really shows what narrow band filters can do for anybody with light polluted skies.

Very impressive. Living in Dudley I can appreciate how bad your sky is.

Managed to see this for the first time couple weeks ago as I noticed the sky was particularly dark for once amazing to see through the eyepiece I could follow the structure for most part of it thought my sky's were really bad but if I could see that maybe they are not as bad as I thought ?

Kev   

Archived