Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

When is best to sell?

DazC

I'm going to be selling one of my scopes and I'm not sure when is the best time to sell.

Would it sell faster and/or for more money before Christmas or after Christmas when the skies are really dark?

I've never sold any of my astro gear so I need your opinions please.

Thanks.

D.C

I often put stuff up for sale either here or on UKABS and it seems to sell any time of the year.  I generally price stuff at 2/3 new price if in good working condition if that's any help.  More expensive than that and they might as well buy new.

Carole 

Also depends WHERE you sell. If on here, or Astrobuysell then you are pitching to generally experienced amateurs who will buy at any time, so long as the price is right.

If on general sites like ebay, then as others have suggested there are better times of year than others to sell.

I'll just mention what really rattles my cage, when a buyer states 'collect only' but does not mention where they live...that kind of ad is dead the moment the seller puts it up.

It seems some people just don't think things through. 

If the seller were to read through their ad as a prospective purchaser then all sorts of errors/omissions would be spotted.

TBH, I don't think it makes that much difference. I have put ads on various sites, always priced fairly, sometimes I have to beat people away, but other times I might as well be selling ebola for all the interest received. Then you wait a couple of weeks and put the same item up for sale, and bang! It's gone!. I guess if at first you don't succeed, wait, then try again!

If it's low end gear, I'd suggest timing it to sell just after Stargazing Live (in March 2015, if this link is correct). You might get extra interest if you offer to set it up and show the buyer how to use it.

For high end stuff, maybe about now?

+1 for after stargazing live. I did the same thing and sold my 200p just after, before it aired they were going for about £150-190. Mine sold for £240. I won it on eBay for £117. I did spend about £25 on the lazy susan mod but still a nice profit :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived