Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newtonian Collimation

OK. So this has probably been done to death already. My apologies if this is getting repetitive.... :insects1:

I want to get the most out of my kit, and I think that the collimation on my reflector may not be optimal. I have tried star tests, but I am not convinced that I am getting it right. Views are pretty good, but I have a feeling that they could be better.

So I am thinking about investing in either a laser or a Cheshire type device to assist. At the moment I am leaning towards the Baader Laser collimator - I have seen some pretty good reports. However, it would be interesting to hear from folks that have hands on experience with different bits of kit.

So, would you

a) recommend a Cheshire-type or a Laser-type collimation device?

and

:) recommend any particular brand?

Basically I am looking for the easiest way to get reliable collimation. My budget is around the £50 mark, so I won't be getting any of the more expensive tools that I know are highly recommended by those what can afford them. :) This is for use with a 6" F5 reflector, but I am planning on getting a bigger reflector in the future.... :wink:

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, I think in regard to collimation devices, it's a matter of personal choice. Some people prefer lasers, some swear by cheshires, some are happy with a collimation cap or a hole in a film canister.

Personally, I use a laser to get it close and then do a star test to get it spot on.

Tony..

Thanks guys.

I have read about having to collimate the laser - I would be pretty annoyed about having to do this after spending cash! One of the reasons I was thinking about the Baader is I read they were more reliable than some of the cheaper alternatives - does this sound right to those that have used them?

I did try the hole in the film canister once (always up for a cheap option!!) but I was still a bit unsure if I was getting it right. Maybe seeing a laser dot hitting the centre of the target would be make me feel that I was closer to getting it right... I really don't want to become too obsessive about collimation - you could imagine ending up spending more time tweaking the collimation than actually looking at stars - but I suppose it would be something to do when it is cloudy...

Cheers

Dave

Dave, I went for the cheaper option and got a secondhand Antares one, I did check the collimation on it and it looks close enough to me but then I only use it to get 'close', a star test really is the only way to get your collimation spot on. Once you get the hang of it, you can do it in about 5-10 mins and you're done. Just don't get too hung up on it, otherwise yes, you could be there all night tweaking away and you probably wouldn't notice the difference anyways!!

Tony..

Hi Dave,

Before I went for a 'slightly more expensive tools' I used a laser (Baader Laser Collimator) which I found pretty good.

I found the best method was to use the laser to get things right then do a star test - if the star test was good then I'd leave it. If not then I'd recollimate using the star test rather than the laser. I did have a problem for a while when I thought that the laser itself was out of collimation as the star test and laser never quite agreed but I was wrong, it was actually the centre spot of the mirror that was out by 4 - 5mm.

Even using my more expensive tools the Baader laser has its place in my case as collimating with it is so simple and quick.

HTH

James

My F5 12" dob doesn't hold tight collimation particularly well so I collimate everytime using a Baader collimator (this isn't user collimatable btw). I find this much quicker and easier than using a cheshire. I haven't double checked it by doing a very high power x1000 star test but star testing at x300 certainly confirms reasonalble collimation. If I was planning doing high power planetary imaging then I would do a high power star test but for what I use the scope for the Baader does a fantastic job in 2 mins

I use a Baader, very quick, very simple. If a dunce like me can manage one anybody can. By the way, slight thread hijack, what is and how do you do a 'star test'?

Do you ask them to do long division or something?

:wink: Looks like the Barlowed laser system works a treat. I've just been looking at some other collimation sites and they all reckon it's pretty damn accurate. I'll be getting a bit of card and scissors then.

Archived