Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 question.

seanyc5

Hi,

So I set my 130SLT Nexstar up for the first time last night as I had a clear sky. After aligning with the SkyAlign my first thing I chose was sky stour then m31 galaxy!

It only worked haha I could see bright stars around it and like a smudged grey disc in the middle! Pretty sure it was the galaxy and im sure someone was looking back at the milky way too.

Anyway whilst looking for a good 10-15mins mainly using the averted technique id read about I saw two objects go across the EP about the same size as the surrounding stars from say the 10oclock to the 2oclock position just above the galaxy about 5mins apart?!?!

I quickly looked with the naked eye but could see nothing.

Any ideas what this could have been? I was using a 25mm EP

Thanks,

Sean

Everyone else has answered your question but I wanted to say congrats for your first light. It was a good choice to start with Andromeda, you sound chuffed as well. That's good reaction as most people are left a bit deflated after looking at Hubble images, it shows you have realistic expectation and can enjoy what you're looking at. 

As said satellites, in simple terms there are hundreds, actually thousands, of them up there.

If I recall a couple of years ago a tool bag from the ISS was "dropped" and it drifted off, people spent quite a few nights trying to locate and follow it. It was a challenge to "Spot the toolbag".

philhas, on 27 Sept 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

My first scope was an SLT130, great scope and linked up to a laptop and stellarium its a great tool to learn the sky

Cheers guys just took me by surprise. Yeah id already read about what to expect if I hadn't like you say I would of half expected to see something along the lines of the hubbles images haha.

So ive got stellarium, can you explain what hooking it up to a laptop does? I was not aware of this. Cheers

Archived