Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The troubles with long focal lengths is.....

earth titan

... keeping the images from trailing.

I had a quick crack with the C9.25 and Atik 314 last night and the result was a little under whelming to say the least  :(

I could only really get 3 minute exposure before the trailing became too much - the mount was horribly balanced and I really didn't spend a lot of time setting up.

Must try harder....

Back to shorter focal lengths I think until I can afford a decent OAG.

The best I got was this:

post-6511-0-33406100-1411502483_thumb.pn

It is very tricky.  I've not had a go with the C9.25 yet, but had a crack with the 127 Mak last year and this was what I managed with 90 second subs:

m57-2013-09-02.png

Longer than 90 seconds started to get quite troublesome.

Interesting that yours is left-right flipped compared with mine.

James

• 2 weeks later...

i have a C9.25 as well which i was thinking about using as my only imaging scope, but with the F6.3 reducer as well. the native focal length is around 2300mm at F10 to long and slow as well. i am guessing this was mounted on your NEQ6? i have mounted mine on an EQ5 for planetary work and its ok, just!

I am sure that an OAG will make a difference - The NEQ6 should be up to the task I would have thought.

I think that it's easy to underestimate the difficulties with long focal length imaging. If you are used to the shorter focal lengths then it shouldn't be that much of a difference should it?! :D

2.3m of focal length to guide well and give you nice round stars is a big ask of anyone's entire imaging rig. There are so many variables that come into play at these lengths that you wouldn't normally even consider.

Archived